Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about the Learn.Unity tutorials, Learn and Unity in general

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Paradoxbuilder, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Paradoxbuilder

Paradoxbuilder

Hi all! I just started learning Unity and I'm on fire with the possibility of finally making my own video game! I know it's not something you can learn in a day, but I want to do the best I can! (remove obligatory I grew up playing video games etc etc)

So I searched the entire Net for Unity stuff and decided to use the resources here because they are official and all that. It's the Internet, so there is a lot of info, but the quality really differs.

I am encountering a few issues here and there which I thought I would ask about :

1. Lesson 2.1 - Player Positioning. Tutorials tell me that I can press right to make my character move, but that does not happen. I have written the code to the best of my ability and followed onscreen instructions

2. Is it common to encounter errors in the tutorial? I follow the steps as best as I can, get the correct Unity version etc. But sometimes my screen just doesn't match with what I see in the tutorial. LIke point 1. above. It's quite frustrating and I'm really not sure what I am doing wrong. I wrote a post on this earlier and it's supposed to be common? Say it ain't so Joe lol.

3. Are there written forms of these tutorials? I think there is a post reflecting that below? I prefer to read (I grew up in a time before YT) and the written text sometimes doesn't follow the tutorial at all.

4. Is all the stuff about being able to get jobs and Unity being in-demand in multiple sectors true? I understand we are in the digital age now and coding is a super in demand skill, but having been around for some time I try to read everything critically. If I devote enough time to mastering Unity, is it a truly certifiable and employable skill?

5. What is the point of all the Learn badges in Unity? Do they unlock new content for you, or are they just there to show you your progression and keep you focused? What do they actually mean in the real world?
    Or it's just a clever system to gamify your content?

6. As far as I understand from coding, there is always more than one way to do anything, just that as coders and professionals we seek to adhere to best practices and write code that is elegant, refactored and efficient. Am I right?

Please forgive the deluge of questions, I am just eager to learn and want to know as much as I can! Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

I wrote this a while ago about starting Unity in general: https://answers.unity.com/questions...d-i-k.html?childToView=1252828#answer-1252828

The manual is the primary way to learn Unity, plus generic sources to learn game design. Unity Learn came later as a more "fun" way to read about stuff. There's nothing special about it. It's a lot of work making it, so I"m sure parts are out-of-date.

Code-wise, plenty of beginner examples have code so sloppy and simplified that you should use a better way as soon as you know how. But many examples of "elegant" code are pretty bad as well. If someone explains a "better" way, only use it if it makes sense.

3. Paradoxbuilder

Paradoxbuilder

I read it but it doesn't really answer my questions?

4. Paradoxbuilder

Paradoxbuilder

Bumping for more feedback!