Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about registering in the Asset Store as a seller.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Danny387, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Danny387

Danny387

Hello all,

I am from Germany, I am a self-employed media designer and I would like to sell assets in the Unity Asset Store. I am registered as a small business in my country and am exempt from sales tax.
    I am just confused when registering.
    Do I need to choose company or individual for the payout profile? With company I have to enter a tax ID and would have only my German tax ID.
    And what does "payout reference" mean?

I would be pleased about a helpful answer.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I'm from germany too. Since you have a registered business, you are not supposed to register as an individual.

The tax ID you refer to is most likely the "VAT ID" which is in german the "UmsatzsteuerId" or "UStId". It is NOT your tax Id (SteuerNummer or SteuerId). You have to seperately request such a UStId for your business which shouldn't take long and you can send that request online.

By "payout reference" I think you mean "payout preference", ie the way you want to get paid. Probably PayPal, bank account, whatever works for you. If it said "reference" then I would have to guess that this is probably the person or business the account is registered for. If you could post a screenshot of that form that would help.

Tip in advance (not sure if you need it, if you don't just ignore it ;) ):
    Do extensive research on the asset store to assess your market niche so as to not waste time doing something that there is plenty of (crowded niche), where there is far superior quality already available (monopolized/cannibalized niche), or where the assets you plan on making have little use for game devs (asset rejected as "too simple" / "not a good fit").

Not having done extensive market research is the number one mistake by asset developers in my experience from the forum and store. That's what nearly all asset publishing questions here on the forum boil down to, when devs ask why their assets a) won't sell (to their expectations) or b) are getting rejected. ;)

Feel free to DM me if you like to learn more about asset development/publishing as I'm also in the middle of the dev process too.

3. Danny387

Danny387

Thank you for the quick reply.
    I have had the VAT ID for a few days.
    According to the Asset Store Provider Agreement, point 4.3 mentions that Unity will deduct the commission and taxes from my sales. According to this, I myself have nothing to do with the sales tax, right?

Here is a screenshot of the form. The field is actually called "Payout Reference".

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I assume that reference is for you, meaning the description that will be in bank transfers so you know where it is coming from.

VAT is handled by Unity, correct. Not sure if they provide invoices now, if not, one invoice addressed to Unity per payout suffices according to tax consultants. It‘s the same as with app stores for instance.