Search Unity

Feedback Questions about my Simple Shape Tool

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by GamedeveloperIntern, Nov 10, 2020.

1. GamedeveloperIntern

GamedeveloperIntern

Hi all,

I'm currently doing an internship where I'm working on a web-tool with which users can generate meshes that represent various simple shapes like a: sphere, cube, cylinder, torus, cone, etc. The tool should be easy to use without any learning curve. The user should be ably to configure a simple shape within 5 minutes. Each shape brings some unique customization so that the shape can meet the requirements of the user. Down below, I provided you with some impressions about how my tool might look like in the future.

This tool can be great for prototyping in the game industry. The most commonly used game-engines don't provide the possibility to easily make simple shapes that live up to the standards of the user. This tool can seen as an extension to those game engines.

Another field which this tool can be used for is for instance VR and 360 media. Most often the media that you see on a VR goggle and 360 viewers is projected on a sphere. This sphere needs to have a small distortion in the mesh do reduce image artifacts and depending on the specific needs of the developer the sphere needs to have a certain geometry. This is hard to find on the internet and this tool could deliver the specific sphere for the developer.

Yet another use case could be that an user is learning how shaders work and is in need for a simple mesh to mutate with one of his shaders.

I hope to have provided you with a context that is good enough and in this form I would like to validate my requirements. Thank you for your response!

Form Link