Search Unity

Questions about HDRP

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Eth22342, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Eth22342

Eth22342

Hello guys, excuse me if this is the wrong section to post in, I am not used to Unity Forums, I have recently took a look at HDRP and I am pretty interested in working with it, however I have some questions (which will hopefully be answered in this topic)

1. Will the old unity Graphics/Shaders get deprecated in the Future (i.e will everyone be forced ot use HDRP in the future?)

2. Does anyone know if Softwares like Quixel Suite (DDO), Substance (Painter,Designer) already supports HDRP shaders?

3. Is it currently safe to convert your project to HDRP? because, we are still working on the layouts, and we were thinking to switch to HDRP to save us time.

4. Is there a Huge noticeable difference between current graphics and HDRP one?

Thanks Everyone!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Answering what I know:
    No current plans. Unity renamed the built in renderer to "Built-In Render Pipeline" and have no plans to remove it. If they remove it in the far future, it will be because LWRP is better and nobody is relying on it (Unity uses analytics). Built-In is the best option for asset store.
    Yes because they configure how they export the packed textures. We use painter and designer. If something can configure how it exports, it supports.
    Maybe if your project is still a year before launch. Test it on a copy, there is much to learn and many more limitations than Built In. The limitations are by design for speed and quality. But they are limitations.
    No, but it depends on your media. If you have amazing media, probably yes. If not, then you're capped by your assets.

If you rely on asset store for shaders or post, just don't use HDRP, use Built In.