Search Unity

Questions about Crashes and exceptions, overhead and runtime setting.

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by Kichang-Kim, May 13, 2019.

1. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Hi, I have some questions about Crashes and exceptions.

1. How often report data is sent and how much it's overhead (network bandwidth usage)? Can I customize it?

2. Can I turn off its feature in runtime? In example, if user decline to agree about using auto-sent crash report, we should turn off it at runtime.

Thanks.

2. StaceyH

StaceyH

Administrator

Hello! To answer your questions:

Computationally, there's far more overhead in just handling the exception than in what crash reporting does. In terms of bandwidth, a typical report for a managed exception is around 4KB give or take, depending on the various metadata attached. We send a report the first time we see a unique exception. If the same exception occurs again, we aggregate on the client side to reduce the network overhead and send a second report summarizing the aggregation when any of these conditions are met:
    1. The play session ends
    2. A single exception is seen 10k times.
    3. 100 distinct exceptions are seen.
    For conditions 2 and 3 the service is disabled entirely at that point, as that indicates there are significant problems with the application and we want to avoid spamming our service and the user's bandwidth.

For disabling at runtime, there is this: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptRefe...ashReportHandler-enableCaptureExceptions.html

Kichang-Kim likes this.