Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Questions about built-in and universal rendering pipeline

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Philip2809, Jan 26, 2023.

?

(as a side thing) what do you prefer?

1. built-in

40.0%
  2. urp

60.0%
  1. Philip2809

Philip2809

Hi! I am working with unity and is going to use it to visualize data of poi, there can be multiple thousands. I do not however know if I should use built-in or URP rendering. I setup a quick test-demo, one made from the 3D (core) and the other from 3D URP (core) templates respectively. My questions are, what is the main differences, why does the shadows look different, is there any way to make them look better on URP? I read somewhere that URP should be faster, but in this case it is slower, can it be that they are running on different quality settings? I loaded this onto my phone, and added 10,000 markers, built-in was running fine with 60 fps, URP was however sitting at 15, what could be the cause of this?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

1. Performance differs depending on what you do. If there is a major difference when disabling everything you don't need, you can file a bug report to have it looked into
    2. URP is more scalable and for many easier to expand on. There also are more settings to tweak, so keep that in mind
    3. The rendering is different, so shadows are also handles differently
    4. If you don't need anything specific from URP and just use 2d visualisation, built in can just work fine. It will be supported for years (2023LTS). So use what works best for you.