Search Unity

Questions about AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unit_dev123, May 14, 2020.

1. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Dear friends.

I have question that is really confusing me. I am really unsure which direction to go with AI. I am looking at something called Navmesh, and while it looks good for simple case it seem odd for big case.

Also why do you have to bake the nav mesh for big terrain. Would not a dynamic ray shooting solution be better.

How to solve this? I heard of both emeralAI and A* (which is more costly.)

i always have problem with assets and never understand them. So which is easiest to do from my own cprogramming script and most robust.
    Thanking you in advances.

2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Question 1, always: what are you trying to do?

3. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

Even most of the biggest games out there use navmesh, so just use it and see if it works, it's free and it works pretty good for most cases.

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

We are playing with the idea to use ML agents to drive the strategic decision making instead of traditional utility AI. So we made sure we abstracted all that into a separate system. The day when we want to start playing with ML we can just replace that system and everything else will stay the same. You can see that system as the player in a RTS game while the rest is systems in a first person shooter :D

5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Thanks!

We havent migrated to ECS/DOTS yet, Will first move from built in renderer so we can take full advantage of it. But we have done some testing on it. Our AI utilizes its own ECS design, data driven programming like this in its core is just arrays of data flowing through controller methods that controls behavior. Which ensures good memory optimizations thanks to the data is tightly cached together. We have done some POC's on migrating from our own implemnetation to dots and when its full mature it will not be a too big of a hurdle.

Since we are a released game it can be hard doing collaborate work like that. :D