Search Unity

Question: Which game server / BaaS to use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kedahan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Kedahan

Kedahan

Greetings, everyone.

I've had an idea for a game for a while, and I think I'll finally have the time to explore the idea further.

Basic concept: Space exploration. You're the captain, cruisin' around the 'verse. Discovering stars, planets, asteroid belts, etc. Eventually you'll be able to upgrade the ship, build improvements on planets, purchase shares in ventures, etc.
    No fighting - the competition is economical.
    Simple UI. Simple gameplay. From a star system you can travel to the next. Travel is "real time", and the journey may take anything from 5 real time minutes to several days.
    No direct interaction with other players is planned.

Now, to my question: Which Backend-as-a-Service is most suitable. Simple player services. Keeping planet/star databases. Some simple events from the backend server. Everything asynchronous and not time sensitive.

In advance - thanks for all viewpoints!
    regards,
    K.

2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Based on the game you described, you could probably get away with using a web service (REST or SOAP) running on a web server and then have the web server store information in a database (MySQL or MSSQL). You most likely would not need an actual game server running a server instance of your Unity game. This means you could save a lot of CPU and scale pretty well.

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

I've been using Gamesparks for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it.

Its great for storing/querying data and you can actually place a lot of your game's logic on the server.