Search Unity

[QUESTION] What is that "Bee"-stuff?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by phrobion, Jun 11, 2021.

1. phrobion

phrobion

Hello everyone.

Working with Unity on openSuse (nearly) since Unity made it to Linux (thanks btw.).

I always tried to stick to the latest official Unity-releases and using the newest openSuse.
    Never had any "big" problems.

When Unity made it from 2020 to 2021, it creates a new folder "Library/Bee" in your project.

No problems on Suse 15.2, but updating to 15.3 Unity seems to stop (hang) working by creating or opening projects. Also if I try to migrate projects from older Unity-versions to the latest version (currently 2021.1.10f1). (see Editor log)
    Unity 2020.3.12f1 (LTS) works on Suse 15.3.

Part of Editor.log on Suse 15.2:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Starting: /home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/bee_backend --dagfile="Library/Bee/2400b0aE.dag" --profile="Library/Bee/profiler.json" --continue-on-failure --stdin-canary ScriptAssemblies
    2. WorkingDir: /home/phrobion/Unity/Tests/EmptyTestLegacy
    3. ExitCode: 4 Duration: 0s31ms
    4. [     ] Require frontend run.  2400b0aE.dag no longer valid. FileSignature timestamp changed: ../LinuxEditor/Data/ScriptCompilationBuildProgram
    5. Starting: /home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/Tools/netcorerun/netcorerun "/home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/ScriptCompilationBuildProgram/ScriptCompilationBuildProgram.exe" "Library/Bee/2400b0aE.dag.json" "Library/Bee/2400b0aE-inputdata.json"
    6. WorkingDir: /home/phrobion/Unity/Tests/EmptyTestLegacy
    7. ExitCode: 0 Duration: 0s377ms
    9. Starting: /home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/bee_backend --dagfile="Library/Bee/2400b0aE.dag" --profile="Library/Bee/profiler.json" --continue-on-failure --stdin-canary ScriptAssemblies
    10. WorkingDir: /home/phrobion/Unity/Tests/EmptyTestLegacy
    11. ExitCode: 0 Duration: 9s181ms
    13. [to be continued...]
    Part of Editor.log on Suse 15.3:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Starting: /home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/bee_backend --dagfile="Library/Bee/2400b0aE.dag" --profile="Library/Bee/profiler.json" --continue-on-failure --stdin-canary ScriptAssemblies
    2. WorkingDir: /home/phrobion/Unity/Tests/EmptyTestLegacy
    3. ExitCode: 4 Duration: 0s31ms
    4. [     ] Require frontend run.  2400b0aE.dag no longer valid. FileSignature timestamp changed: ../LinuxEditor/Data/ScriptCompilationBuildProgram
    5. Starting: /home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/Tools/netcorerun/netcorerun "/home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/ScriptCompilationBuildProgram/ScriptCompilationBuildProgram.exe" "Library/Bee/2400b0aE.dag.json" "Library/Bee/2400b0aE-inputdata.json"
    6. WorkingDir: /home/phrobion/Unity/Tests/EmptyTestLegacy
    7. ExitCode: 0 Duration: 0s377ms
    9. Starting: /home/phrobion/bin/Unity/2021.1.10f1/Editor/Data/bee_backend --dagfile="Library/Bee/2400b0aE.dag" --profile="Library/Bee/profiler.json" --continue-on-failure --stdin-canary ScriptAssemblies
    10. WorkingDir: /home/phrobion/Unity/Tests/EmptyTestLegacy
    12. [Here it stops without any ExitCode]
    So here my Question:
    What is "bee_backend" doing?
    Is there any way to debug, why it hangs here.
    Last but not least: What is this "Bee"-stuff- is there any doc about its needs or dependencies?

Thanks in advance

phrobion

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. nrader95

nrader95

Same here, unity 2021.2.11f1 (i tried previous versions as well, yes) hangs when opening any project including default ones from templates, and i see bee_backend in tasks, killing the bee_backend causes unity to unfreeze and ask me to enter safe mode.

I'm currently on opensuse tumbleweed, but i also tried it on opensuse leap 15.3 and result was the same.

ChiuanWei likes this.
  3. s7887177

s7887177

Does anyone solve the problem?
    I try everything i could for a whole day still showing the same error!
    any update i will be appreciated it...

4. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Bee is our build backend. Unfortunately, we don't test on SUSE and it isn't one of our supported configurations. So I'm not clear what this issue may be.

You may have better luck with 2021.2 as it is the first officially supported Linux Editor release. And if this is something anyone sees under Ubuntu or CentOS 7, please please file a bug!

phrobion and neuro-sam like this.
  5. nrader95

nrader95

Well, maybe i will test it on supported distros later, but right now i can be sure of one thing, that is, the problem appeared exactly in 2021 branch of Unity that you are suggesting to use, because Unity 2020.3.30f1 works fine on my pc with opensuse. 2021.2 and 2022.1 on the other hand freeze when opening any project.

6. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

Any updates? Having the same problem here.

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

8. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

9. phrobion

phrobion

I didn't try the workaround, but nice, it seems to work.

Unity made me switch from Suse (me, using since ~2001 or something) to (K)Ubuntu.
    Now nearly everthing is working for me out of the box.
    I will not return to Suse*, sorry.

I don't want to wait months for a "workaround".

*) okay, I am missing Yast.

10. thelearningapplications

thelearningapplications

The Bee folder appears to be nearly 5 GBs. Need to send the entire project files to a client, can I delete it while sending? is it something unity can recreate when opening at client end?

cuz otherwise its 5 GBs of upload on a project that should otherwise not even be a few hundred MBs.

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can actually exclude the whole Library folder.

12. Reahreic

Reahreic

WARNING: While this is 100% true, deleting the entire library folder will also delete your shader cache forcing Unity to re-calculate shader variants the next time you build.

If you only use the standard PBR shader a limited number of times this isn't an issue. If however you have custom and complex shaders written using Shader graph, this will result in builds taking much longer to compile. Our current project results in cached shader builds being only 15mins vs almost 3 hours if the cache isn't copied along with the repository.

oliverburrows060203 likes this.
  13. soleron

soleron

Do you test on Windows 11 Pro?
    Bee appears to be problematic for many people.
    I am building for UWP and classic Windows exe, and others on Android have issues with that.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/build-fail-bug-unity-2023-2-5-and-10.1548845/