Search Unity

[Question] Structure and deployment of game.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Severos, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Severos

Severos

Is it possible to deploy game in unity with installer? just like most games do?
    And can I specify the structure of folders? like this game I play have those folders in it's root folder beside the executable: icons, help, logs, maps, music, models(which have sub folders)...
    If I set them like that during development in my editor, will they come out like that when building game? or do I have to mess around with some stuff for a work around??

Thanks in advance.

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes, as far as I know, this is possible, but this would need to be something you wrote yourself. I am unclear why you want to do this (there could be several reasons). If you are looking for a way to update a game after release, please look into AssetBundles.

3. Severos

Severos

My current thoughts of the project is to have external patcher executable, because all game files are subject to changes once the game is released, patching will be easier if files have certain static structure in folders so it doesn't move them much around, after patching the unity built exe will run giving the login screen and so on.
    So if the patcher, Unity, and the team can use structured folders it'll make life a bit easier. But I'm a bit worried a bit about the method of accessing the assets, current thought is using "./[folder name]/[file name]" but that can cause lots of problems...

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This has been done, AFAIK, and it's not trivial. This will most likely require, like saving a game, a custom/bespoke solution for your specific game. If it were me, I would look on the Asset Store to see if anyone has solved this as a product, then if nothing there works for me, start researching this. Google and the forum will be your friends, but probably NOT the "getting started" section. I'd try Scripting or Support. I would also go to the community chat stream on IRC and begin asking there. You can find out more about IRC by going to the "Community" Tab and looking into the Lower Right of the page for details. Please be aware that this is a community created, run and managed channel and is not part of Unity Technologies.

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

6. Severos

Severos

Thanks for the help, I'll look more in the places you mentioned, it'll be awesome if you could link me to a page that explains how Unity compiles and sorts files (if it exist).

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I don't know of any specific information for this. It's a bit beyond my experience. Again, this might be a good post for a different section of the forum.