Search Unity

(QUESTION) Starting to Develop a 3D Game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by dolmaci, Nov 10, 2015.

1. dolmaci

dolmaci

Hi all! I have some questions about Unity and game making. First of all let me tell you about myself. I just started to use Unity about 2 months ago. So I’m new to Unity. Please lead me to right directory or topic if I’m in the wrong one. Pardon me if I’m a noob But I’m not completely useless and I’m trying to learn. I’m taking courses about Unity and game developing from Udemy. I started to Unity to make games because me and my friend are hardcore gamers and we have a game idea of our dreams. We want to make it real cuz nobody else does. We find out that we can do it via Unity so we started to do so.

Okay what are my questions?

First of all we’re making a 3D FPS game. It will be a Massive Multiplayer, crafting survival game.

1) Okay so we’re making models on Blender. My friend got the modelling and model animations kinda stuff. But we didn’t get the logic completely. Yet… We create items which can be holded and/or usable (interactable). Do we need to make animations for every specific item? İf so how do we manage to create hand, arm, body animations? What path should we follow? İf not what is the easiest or best way to do it? Does it a 3D modeller’s job or Unity is capable to do it in a easy way?

2) How to we equip wearable items on character? E.g: A silk dress. How can we make a character take that item and wear it?

3) And last of all. We’re trying to create an inventory system. We’re trying to make it our very own one but we need help about it. Like how does the communication between items and players occur? Are there any ready – to – use algorythms? What kind of a system should we follow?

I’m open to any kind of tutorial suggestions. I’m familiar with coding and I have no problem with it. So hit me with best you’ve got. Thank you all for your helps and interests.

2. ronbonomo

ronbonomo

What's up man. So let me ask what you exactly mean on the animation part. Don't think I really grasp what you are asking. The wearable part, well I am unlocking solutions to that issue as well. So far I have found the most used method for that is to make a empty game object for parts of the body you wish to attach the item to and do it that way. As far as how that will work with the animations of the character, I am not sure yet. I was thinking if you model your clothing, armor with humanoid bones and put an animator on it and the same animator controller that your character uses Then add a script to each different suit you make, kind of like this, it should sync. The head and feet should be easier by simply making them a child of the head or feet. Well the empty game object that is.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class movement : MonoBehaviour {
    5.     public ParticleSystem area;
    6.     private float vert;
    7.     private float hor;
    8.     Animator anim;
    9.     // Use this for initialization
    12.     void Awake () {
    13.         anim = GetComponent<Animator> ();
    15.     }
    17.     // Update is called once per frame
    18.     void Update () {
    19.         vert = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical");
    20.         hor = Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal");
    23.         anim.SetFloat ("frwd", vert);
    24.         anim.SetFloat ("strif", hor);
    26.         if (Input.GetButtonDown ("Fire1")) {
    28.             anim.SetTrigger ("Attck");
    30.         }
    31.         if (Input.GetButtonDown ("1")) {
    33.             anim.SetTrigger("areaattk");
    34.             area.Play();
    35.         }
    36.     }
    37. }
    As for inventory, that is another new task I am tackling. There is good already made on in asset store, which is good to start with, even has item creater. I use it now but only till I learn to make it myself. I simply use as a learning tool. Best way to understand completely is to make it yourself. Which I suggest watching GTGD videoes. He is a great tutor. But let me know better what you mean on the animation situation and I will help as I can or help you find the answer if I don't know

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of Unity.
    The search function on this forum works extremely well. By using it you will come across nearly two dozen threads detailing how to connect weapons to hands - and most mention blender.
    Additional searches will give you results for clothing, equipment and accessories.
    And a last search will come up with a swathe of inventory discussions you will find useful.

ronbonomo likes this.
  4. ronbonomo

ronbonomo

and burgzurg arcade has an awesome tutorial on youtube for item creation editor

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Many of the specifics you've posted are at least "intermediate" in difficulty, so I would suggest that you try to do some "beginner" material first.

I would suggest that you run the basic projects in the Learn tab (see above) and get a handle on Unity and then tackle your larger project.

You will progress faster and get your product done sooner this way. If you try to do all your learning in the context of your own project, you may get stuck trying to figure out small details. If you run our official tutorials, you'll get the basics under your belt and be able to move forward

ronbonomo and JoeStrout like this.
  6. jhocking

jhocking

Yeah many of those are relatively advanced questions (customizable characters in particular.) But my book Unity in Action covers using animated characters and implementing an inventory, so you should check it out; the book is designed for people who already know how to program but are new to Unity.

ronbonomo likes this.
  7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Don't forget your scope!

Here's my benchmark:

WoW has over 2000 icons.

If you can organise yourself to design and produce 1 icon an hour on average (make 1 bag in grey and recolour it, save a basic item, add details for additional icons), you will need 2000 hours to make them. If you work 10 hours a day and don't stop to go to the toilet, eat, or take any break what so ever, you can make all the icons for your MMO in 200 days, or - if you only want to work flat out with no breaks for 8 hours a day - 1 person's working year, which is about 2000 hours.

Modeling, Rigging and Skinning is your animator's job. You can do this in Blender.

Once you have a Rigged and Skinned model, you need to associate animations to it. You can either keyframe animate these models or you can use motion capture data from a library. Unity has a basic set of motion capture files available on the Asset Store. Search for "Raw Mocap Data".

To associate animations to the rigged character, see the Manual:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AnimationSection.html

In specific drill down to "Working with Humanoid Animations" and Asset Preparation and Import":
    2c2cce289bab313c58098f875abfd48d.png
    These sections will help describe the requirements of modeling, skinning and rigging.

Watch the Live Training Archives:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training/
    ... as I've just presented a live session on setting up a humanoid avatar. The session should be in the archive by this time next week.

This is a complex issue that has many solutions, and may be worth searching outside of Unity. Many games (iirc WoW, GW2) have a system where every character is "wearing" every possible outfit and carrying every possible weapon, and they just "turn them on or off" when they are needed.

You may find a different solution is necessary.

There are no patterns for this, particularly, but many many people have solved this in different ways. Google Unity Inventory, and you'll get a pile of them. Some are good, some are bad, some are ugly. There are also many solutions on the Asset Store that may (or may not) solve your problem.

When it comes to making a subsystem for your game, you should just dive in and then ask for help on the system, one issue at a time.

ronbonomo and theANMATOR2b like this.