Search Unity

[Question] Simple, isometric CoC style city building game, any Unity (or GameMaker?) tutorials avail

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by unity_i40BmTVuzbf8CA, Nov 27, 2019.

1. unity_i40BmTVuzbf8CA

unity_i40BmTVuzbf8CA

I want to create a lightweight Unity game that would be isometric city building with zoom like Clash of Clans. No online, just single player, very simple, only city building, nothing else. Choose a building and place it on the map. That's it.

Are there any simple tutorials for this?

Most important notes:

- Has to be optimised (minimum lag)
    - Has to have option to export to Android, MacOS, Windows, iOS.
    - Simple, simple, simple (single player, isometric map, zoom in, zoom out, choose a building and place it or rearrange them)

And is Unity 2D best fit for this or game maker?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Googling 'unity isometric city builder tutorial' brought up lots of results.

People who do beginner level tutorials won't generally know if a tutorial results in an optimized game, and the people who would know haven't run any beginner level tutorials for years. Though optimization is generally a higher level topic requiring someone pretty skilled with Unity to understand, so not generally covered in tutorials focused on basic first time implementations.

Beginner tutorials focusing on implementing specific mechanics and scenes almost never even mention the topic of cross platform exporting. Though you can be sure you'll need to implement a different UI system for your desktop and your mobile versions of this kind of game. Also you'd typically use much simpler "mobile ready" models and textures in your mobile versions than you do in your desktop versions.

Unity 2D and Unity 3D are fundamentally the same thing, just with some different defaults to your Scene tab and your camera among a few other things. I'm guessing you'll need to ask on a Game Maker forum if this game is a good fit for that tool. You could certainly make this game with Unity.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019