Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Question regarding removing members

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Cynikal, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Cynikal

Cynikal

When you add a member, they will now have full access to the project.
    --- Are there any plans to be able to restrict access?

When you remove a member, does Unity detect the change and remove the files from the members computer?
    --- If not, will this be a feature?

Are there any plans to add a live collab mode? (Multiple users editing the same scene..at the same time, and changes are shown in real time?)

2. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

- We've talked about granting restricted access but haven't made plans for it. How restricted would you want it? What kind of control would you like? Folder level? File level?

- Removing a member just prevents them from getting updates. That's a feature we might eventually look into but, it would give a false sense of security unless we were able to prevent them from copying files on their machine.

Live collab mode isn't something we have planned, as the requests for that ability have been much lower than other features. I might suggest you check out scene fusion and see if that does what you would like it to.

3. Cynikal

Cynikal

I would think folder level should be sufficient. It could be things like: Each user can have a dedicated folder to themselves. Other members can't touch it..unless given specific rights.

Considering you're using collab for one of two reasons: 1: Local office collaboration (does not necessarily apply), or 2: Remote collaboration.
    - Considering remote collaboration, consider malicious intent on a member removed from a project. If I hired someone to do some work. They did not perform, and I fired them, and removed them from the project. The fact remains, they still have the entire source code on their local machine to do with at their will. This could trigger certain people from releasing the source code, or manipulating the source code and creating/stealing assets, etc.

I think Unity should detect the removal, then remove the project and it's files (silently?) from the users computer. I also know Unity likes to throw files to the recycling bin, as this wouldn't be helpful, as someone could just restore them. So in a sense, it should delete them permanently. If the user closes unity prematurely, it'd be nice if unity looked for certain signatures, and deleted the files as they were loaded (even individually).

This would protect assets / resources from being used as a whole.