Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

[Question] Package size limit for Unity for PSM ?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by mehulshukla, Apr 25, 2014.

1. mehulshukla

mehulshukla

SCEE Dev Support PSM

Hi,

Speaking on behalf of the development teams behind Unity for PSM, we would like your opinion on this particular question.

How much capacity do you want for the package? This refers to the game submission package.

Would be great if you could tell us how much you want/need.

As a comparison the current PSM SDK package is limited to 1 GB.

Please do not hesitate to post your opinion!

Thanks

2. GMM

GMM

I highly doubt anyone wants any kind of package size limit, since everyone would want to be able to create what they desire (inside of the technical limitations of course). The size limitation should really be as big as any regular Vita game, there are no reason to limit the file size.

3. elmar1028

elmar1028

No package size limit! Let developers add as much content as they'd like!

Or at least increase the size limit to 10GB. That would be great!

4. danbrani

danbrani

I think 1GB might be limiting to some content heavy games and that 2GB should be fine for nearly everyone.

5. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

The higher, the better. A package limitation will only drive down the quality of games submitted due to needing to compress textures and audio unnecessarily.

6. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I've got some pretty packed games, with lots of textures, scripts and sounds.. but that said there still under 100mb, so for me 1GB is plenty.
    That said, as the vita is way more power fuller than my iPhone 4 (which is my minimum supported device) it means i can increase texture sizes and audio quality, but i still believe that will be way under 1GB.

But, i'd say the same limit that the 'full' vita games have will be nice (not sure what it is, 4gb?) , same as 'GMM' said above. It will show us that you guys have the same respect and confidence in us Unity-PSM as you do for the other guys. ;)

Loving the vita and the unity support so far, keep up the good work!

Steve.

Edit: - Found a link which shows some of the official vita games overall file size. Dungeon hunter alliance is only 1GB? I spent ages on that game, its got great graphics and loads of content. That said, i still believe we should get the same limit these other vita games get :)
    http://uk.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/Vita_Games_Sizes

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. danieljlezama

danieljlezama

I think is very important to have a Package Size Limit, because that helps us as developers to keep focus in the app size and optimizing to deliver the best looking app that can be downloaded quickly as possible.

1GB is plenty for most mobile developers, but raising the limit up to 2 GB could be awesome for some developers to create amazing games with stunning visuals.

8. PeterD

PeterD

Remember that the Vita has limited storage. Some users will have 8gb cards or 16gb cards. Very few will have 32 or 64gb cards. This means that (along with save games etc. etc.) you are fitting at most 3 2gb games on the card or 6 1gb games. So the calls for upping the limit to 4gb would effectively remove your app from most users download lists simply by virtue of the fact that it isn't going to fit onto their cards and you're then asking them to remove something they may not be willing to delete!

9. blackbird

blackbird

for me i will go at least 3 GB because unity games are bigger maybe 2,5GB will be good too but 3GB will be amazing

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  10. mehulshukla

mehulshukla

SCEE Dev Support PSM

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your responses. I would like to talk about the 2GB limit here. As I mentioned earlier, the file size limit is currently set to 1GB. When updating a PSM application, users will need to download the complete packaged every time. If the limit is set to 2GB, users may need to download 2GB each time the application is updated. Based on this, would it still be an advantage to set the size limit to 2GB? Please let us know your thoughts.

11. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

That's around 30 minute download for me, which is fine, and a lot less than some games anyway (ps3 and vita).
    Unitys package compression seems to be really good so if a Unity game gets to the 2GB limit i would be impressed.
    If it was set to 1gb then that would limit some of the awesome Unity games that may get created, 2gb+ opens more of a window for some incredible games, so yeh 2gb's good for me.

Just wondering, what is everyone else's game package sizes for other platforms?
    Mine are around 20mb - 150mb. (compressed enough to handle low powered iOS and Android devices though, which won't be necessary for PS Vita :) )

12. PeterD

PeterD

I have some apps that contain a lot of audio and video and the most one has taken is 500mb data + 40mb for the main app. Then I have one that allows for ebooks to be downloaded and these are then cached so can grow to upwards of a 2gig.

These are not straight game apps though and in that category even something like infinity blade takes up less than 2gb but, more than 1gb.

Just to clarify that's another vote for 2gb as the absolute max limit.

13. blackbird

blackbird

i'm fine with 2 gb but i will always welcome much more memory you never know what the future brings, as far of my game ...each scene takes about 50 mega to 100 mb so i think i will hit very quickly to limites

14. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

The larger the limit the better as far as I am concerned. With internet speeds getting faster all the time I think the main limiting factor will be the size of the memory card in the vita not the download time. I take it that the user will not be forced to update the app as soon as it is available ? They can choose whether to update it or not ?

If so then I don't think there should be much concern about the maximum size as they could update it overnight if they had a slow connection , it could even be 4 gb . In general though I think that Sony should take steps to encourage users to buy larger memory cards for their vita's. I find it strange that there are deals in Europe with small memory cards and bundles of games but none for the larger cards. My biggest concern is that peoples Vita's will already be full and therefore won't want to buy new games because they will have to remove existing ones.

15. PeterD

PeterD

Before going haywire with what was a serious question from mehulshukla. Ask yourself this obvious question "How would a 4gb game fit on a 4gb PSVita memory card?" then decide again between a 1 or 2gb limit with a little more...what shall we say....thought for the end user and the minimum spec a user might realistically have :neutral:

16. blackbird

blackbird

@peter d not really when the psp was released they were cards with only 32 mega just look to the later years people are buying 32 GB cards for they old psp

17. Spidyy

Spidyy

As a consumer, it is often limiting to download 2GB+ games, as we are limited with 16GB memory card in occident. 1GB is mostly the max I would download for a PSM game, 2GB if it is really well presented with tests and reviews on the net.

As a developper, I can't really say in advance how much my game will take, but I'll be sure it will take the less memory possible, using compressed and resusable resources as much as I can. :p

Well, having a much greater quota to submit a game gives us some space to improve the game. Going over is over-esmating our rights as a PSM dev.

It is my own opinion. :]

18. PeterD

PeterD

Not sure I get your point. That's kind of like saying "If you want my game get a bigger memory card!" to your expected customers. What about the guys who have 4gb cards or those that have 1gb free on their 8gb card, or those playing PS Plus games and having a GB of saves on their cards. A game has to be very good to get a user to delete 2 or 3 other games just to install it.

I guess I'm not going to convince anyone who hasn't already got some games out on the various app stores to think sensibly about this and those people will already know that a 4gb game is never going to get downloaded.

19. blackbird

blackbird

@peter d .. no you didn't get my point as a developer i will not force any body to upgrade you know people are free to upgrade or not but with time they will need to buy more memory for example here in Germany the 4 giga memory cost only between 9 to 12 euro ...it's a natural evolution that people will upgrade the capacity it's just question of time and once you bought the game you can make a back up on your PC or external HDD or you can re-download ....even Sony has released games with 3 giga best example kill-zone mercenary ...and the most important thing it's the responsibility of developers if he want to deliver a great game with large file then fine he want to take the risk you ...it's part of how your marketing you will take the responsibility if the game didn't sell because of the large game ...the only thing that Sony have to do is to give the perfect environment and tools to make your game good ...i don t forget vita is not doing well so this is a huge opportunity to get developers on board and give the vita a boost in terms of sales

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  20. AlexGK

AlexGK

1 GB sounds right IMO

21. mehulshukla

mehulshukla

SCEE Dev Support PSM