Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on public classes

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Deleted User, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I already started my basic c# tutorial in https://www.learncs.org/en/Basic_Classes. I tried to modify a class by making it public. SEe my screenshot. Why am I getting errors? The code changed to comments are original but my understanding is since the class has been made public, the code should be accessible from another class. Yet it cannot be accessed. Why can't it be accessed?

Attached Files:

2. Harfatum

Harfatum

By default, class variables are private. You will have to give each one the "public" keyword to make them public.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

TQ.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@JulianHSC

To build on what was said above, anything in C# has to have its access defined. Anything that does not will be private unless specified to be something else.

So you can have a public class, where the class is accessible to other bits of code, but the actual variables inside might be private so you cant see them.

You could also have a public class with a private class inside it. Etc etc.

So if you ever struggle to access something, check what access modifier you have given it.

Im not going to go into what "protected" is as you likely wont be doing inheritence for a bit, but if you ever start to learn about "inheritance" then please do message back on here and I will give you a rundown of how that works and why and when you may use it.

The same for "static", right now you probably wont need that keyword but if you start to come across it and its not explained in your tutorials then please do message back on here.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

TQ. Earlier the moderator mentioned that I can open multiple threads but make sure they aren't duplicates. I'll ask further if I have questions.