Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on platform usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've sent this to the unity bug development team and they couldn't answer it. What's the purpose of the platform? See the screenshot I have - it has android and Windows - highlighted in red square.

Attached Files:

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's a way to select the target platform for the project without having to load the project. Previously you would have had to load the project, open Build Settings, and change the target platform, but this would require generating the Library folder for the currently selected platform with the default being the OS you're currently on.

Generating the Library folder can be a very long process for some projects. My biggest project to date takes an hour to generate the folder, and then when you select a different build target the Library folder has to be regenerated to some degree which can take up to yet another hour.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildSettings.html

Peter77 likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

In other words, this is for really big projects? Would that be an easier way of understanding things?

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No, it just allows you to open the project already set up and imported etc for the target platform.

Its just a way of saying "start this configured for Windows development" where Windows could be any platform.

Before you would have to open unity which would always open as standalone windows mac linux build target, and then switch manually which was a pain.

That is what @Ryiah was saying which I thought came across as rather clear. Project size doesnt have anything to do with it, @Ryiah was simply providing an example / context as to why having to do the library import dance previously could be a pain.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, because it's not just for really big projects. The easiest way to understand it will always be that it "allows you to set a build target before you've loaded the editor". Trying to label it as a tool for "only x projects" may sound easier but it just limits the usefulness because you end up treating it in a way it shouldn't be treated.

If it still seems a little confusing then the simplest solution is to just ignore it for now. Once you've started building projects to binaries (for the record my 30 GB project compiles down to around 1 GB) you'll have reached the point that you'll be able to understand it easily and by that point it might actually be useful for you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.