Search Unity

Question on duplicating imported FBX animations and losing options

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mostlyhuman, Feb 12, 2020.

1. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman

Since imported FBX animations are read-only, the established workflow seems to be to duplicate the animation within the FBX into its own animation clip file. But in doing this dont you lose access to all those options you would normally have under the FBX Animation tab, such as the root motion adjustments etc? Is there a way to keep all those options and not have it be read only, to get the best of both worlds?

Thank you for any help!

2. mcmount

mcmount

Why don't you just create identical range with the animation having different name on it? Like frames 1-50 "walk" and then just create frames 1-50 "newwalk"?

3. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman

There are a lot more animation options available in the fbx animation tab other than just editing the play range and you lose all of those and would have to create some of them manually which would be much more time consuming.

4. mcmount

mcmount

I don't see any reason to duplicate any fbx ever. Can you elaborate what you are trying to accomplish? I understand your problem, but not the reason for it.

5. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman

Animation data contained in an FBX file in Unity is Read Only. So it restricts some of the things you can do with the clip. The only way I know of to remove the Read Only restriction, is to go into your Project area and select and unfold the FBX file, click on the animation clip therein, and hit CTL+D which will create a separate duplicate writeable version of the animation clip (not the entire fbx file). But in doing so you lose all of the handy features in the FBX Animation tab, but you gain the ability to write to the clip. There needs to be a way to have it both ways.

6. mcmount

mcmount

So, you want to manually drive something with your character /objects and ditch the pre-animated stuff? This is what the masks are for. Or am I missing something? You still didn't explain what you want to do. If you don't like to use masks, use the LateUpdate, which overrides the animation.

7. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman

Yah this was a more general question. Having the ability to do what I mentioned would make it a lot easier for game development in general. I appreciate you attempting to help but I feel that my initial post was clear. I've been working in Unity for a few years now and this limitation has always been bothersome.