Search Unity

Question: Is it legal to use unity asset for commercial?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kunalz, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Kunalz

Kunalz

Hi I'm new to Unity and I have been learning a lot from it, I bought many assets that I wanna use in my game that I may publish for sale. Reading a lot of articles say that once purchased, you can use it in your game for commercial use.

But what about the free assets provided by unity? An example is, lets just say I have created a first person game and I implemented the first person view using unity's provided first person controller, can I still sell my game once its done ?

Because there are some useful things that can make my development easier such as reusing unitychan's animation etc for character models I bought. I just wanna make sure that I'm not unintentionally breaking any rules and would like a clear explanation of this.

2. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

If you are buying them from asset store, then it's OK.

3. killer_bee_bits

killer_bee_bits

Yes! You can use them for commercial purposes since you purchased them. But free assets generally don't look great so people don't use them in any commercial games. Since you are new to unity, Go ahead!!

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

The point of any asset either provided by Unity, or from Asset store, is so you can use them in production and sell as part of the product. You can not sell them individually in many cases. In some cases, you can not disclose, that you use certain assets. Best to read individual licences.

PS.
    This looks very suspicious to me. Like replaying to own post.
    @Kunalz & @killer_bee_bits joining just day apart few months back.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. killer_bee_bits

killer_bee_bits

Lol... no I am a different person

6. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

Speaking for myself and assets from my store, yes you can.

7. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Kunalz and Ryiah like this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Most everything from the asset store can be used commercially. There are a few things that cannot, but they are made clear.

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

You can't use adam's character though, so there is exception be careful

Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Good to know there's another one out there besides Unity-chan.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/unity-chan-model-18705

Like @PizzaPie mentioned you need to start reading the licenses and this includes any additional licenses that may come with the asset. Unity's licenses are generally easy to understand in my experience and additional licenses are rare so it isn't like you have to do a great deal of it.

Unity-chan, for example, has her own license in a file named license.txt in the root folder of the asset package. You can use the digital assets (models, animations, and so on) related to her, but it can't be in a way Unity deems inappropriate. This is spelled out in Article 3 of the license.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Kunalz and Antypodish like this.
  11. Kunalz

Kunalz

Thanks for all the replies. I have a better understanding now

12. Kunalz

Kunalz

What do you mean by suspicious? Thats not me if thats what you mean and I don't even see a reason having two accounts. Replying to my own post isn't gonna get me the help I need from the community.

13. Kunalz

Kunalz

Thanks, yeah I been going through it, and thanks for clarifying what they mean by "digital assets", I was a bit confused on what they mean't by that.

I guess before I do anything with any assets I should first look for a license file if there is any and read it as my top priority.

14. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

What if I purchase a car asset for $10 and then sell the car asset in my game for $2 for people to use in game. Is that ok?

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but that's because you're not selling the asset itself. You're selling access to a feature in your game. When the license refers to being unable to resell the asset it's referring to the asset itself being used outside the context of the game.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

There are some AAA free assets, like

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/63654
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/63667

This model was the first model I downloaded from teh asset store to try out guns in VR
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/51604