Search Unity

[Question] How Do You Know What a Reasonable Charge is for a Video Game Prototype?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zwvankleeck, Dec 28, 2016.

1. zwvankleeck

zwvankleeck

So I've just recently begun prototyping games for people. Freelancing, that is.
    Up until now, I've been working with things like "Make this double jump better" kind of jobs.

Last night, I had contact with someone who wants me to prototype the game play parts of a game (no menus, levels, etc... Just the base mechanics).

I quoted the guy as best I could and the guy agreed, but I would like to know a bit more clearly what the market is like for projects like this.

Is there a way to see what others are charging for something like this?

The prototype is a clone of Smashy City:

I'd love some feedback.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Use the blink test. Keep upping your prices until you find a pain point where you can no longer get work.

There is the accendote about how an optometrist prices glasses. The idea is they keep going until the customer blinks in surprise, and the true price is what the customer will pay.

That will be $200. <Wait for blinking>. For the frames. The lenses will be a further $60. <Wait for blinking>. Each.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

just curious ... if you would...
    whats price? and how many hrs it takes you??
    ( i have NO IDEA what this kinda thing is worth lol..)

... iam not a freelancer or anything... just curious actually..
    cause i have skills, but iam not making any money from em
    (sorta sorta not interested to... but iam very unrealistic)

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

Find out what programmers get paid for that kind of work at a day job. Double it. Then multiply by the number of hours you think it'll take to do the job. That's what professionals get for it.

Amateurs don't make nearly as much per hour because they're not nearly as efficient and can't solve every problem. For them, I'd probably cut the price in half instead of doubling it.

Either way, at the minimum charge what you think your time is worth. If people aren't willing to pay that, there's no point in quoting less because you're better off doing something else.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Might not be the best way to go about it, but I'd just charge hourly or weekly rate for the amount of time I think it'll take.

Based on the video it is a very simple game, so prototype could be produced in a week, especially if you have useful snippets available.

Polishing the prototype, however....