Search Unity

[Question] Create game pseudo-Server using web database(for Turn-based games)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IsGreen, Oct 25, 2015.

1. IsGreen

IsGreen

I would like to use a free web server to host an online database where several users to connect simultaneously to the Web database from the application / game created with Unity.

It would be to play turn-based games(cards, strategy, roll, etc..), not for a FPS game.

I've seen several questions about networking using NetworkBehaviour derived classes where a server computer running the application / game and other clients connect equipment.

In theory, multiple users can be connected online to the same web database. Each client machine would execute an independent game using the same online database with other client computers.

But I do not know how to create that database. I've seen tools such as XAMPP or tutorials on creating ASP.Net web application and WPF applications.

As I said at the beginning, customers (players) would connect with the same name or password to access the web database, such as "Arena" or "123456".(key access)

In this database would have a table of organization named "Level", another table called "PlayerName" would be the identification ID, and other tables needed for play.

First question, you could create a pseudo-server that is not running any application, so only a Web database with multiple tables is used: level, users, projectiles, positions, etc ... with a key generic access, equal for all, used by the application / game?

Second question, is it necessary to create a web page or create some kind of ASP or WPF application to create / use such Web database? I have seen code like using the web database, but how would create on the server, to allow be modified / read by all players.?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Katie-GameSparks

Katie-GameSparks

Hi @IsGreen
    Katie from GameSparks here.
    May I suggest looking at Gamesparks for your turn based game.
    Gamesparks provides online database's using MongoDB which can be changed and accessed via cloud code.
    We also provide turn based challenges and messages.
    GameSparks is free up to a certain amount of users per month.
    If you are interested please check out www.gamesparks.com
    Thanks
    Katie