Search Unity

Question Question concerning Outlines (Style Implementation)

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Igotlazy, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Igotlazy

Igotlazy

Hey there. I just had a question concerning the replication of a particular style. This is a concept piece from one of my artists. We're looking to replicate this look in-engine.
    upload_2024-2-10_18-26-29.png

Our main source of inspiration is the show Scavenger's Reign, which has a very Moebius-like style (strong focus on outlines to define shape, with simple flat colors).
    upload_2024-2-10_18-27-2.png

The main issue really is the outlines. We intend to have 2D sprites wandering around a 3D world, so there are 3 sources of outlines we need to deal with.
    - Outlines on the edges of 3D meshes.
    - Outlines textured onto the 3D meshes themselves.
    - Outlines textured onto the 2D sprites.

Any suggestions on how to reconcile all these sources?
    My current plan is to just allow the textured outlines to stay as such, and for the edges of 3D meshes, use a screenspace shader to detect edges and then draw outlines. Texturing outlines onto the edges themselves seems... difficult by comparison.

Any ideas?

2. maxkcy

maxkcy

Take a look at this, this renders the 3d models in a 2d style, but warning this is a very tough tutorial to follow.

3. Igotlazy

Igotlazy

Thanks. I've actually seen this video before. It suggests an inverted hull for the outlines though, and I'm not sure if that would work out too well, especially for sections like these.
    upload_2024-2-12_2-24-23.png