Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

(Question) City Engine and Unity 3.0

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by HeadClot, Oct 11, 2010.

1. HeadClot

HeadClot

Ok, I am looking at purchasing City Engine Indie from Procedural.

Here are a few questions that I have.

1. I am looking at making an open world kind of Game with the assistance of city engine. Is it possible to billboard individual meshes, characters and Animations? Basically what i am asking if I can stream the various Environments as well as characters and Vehicles.

2. I am looking at Unity and it looks like it supports Height maps. What is the largest height map that i can use?

3. How do I go about making area transitions? (Indoor to outdoor/Outdoor to indoor) I know that i can do this in a variety of ways in code. But what would be the most efficient?

4. To make the General Shape of the indoor areas do i need to use unity prefabs or can I use XSI or Blender? I am more familiar with XSI than anything. Blender to me anyways is like a foreign language (it is hard for me to understand it) (Solved)

5. How do I go about Importing Google Sketch up models to Unity 3.0? I am NOT using the pro version. (Solved)

Questions 4 5 Apparently I can use Google sketch up and a plug in called PlayUp
    Not sure if it will export it as a asset that i can add physics to... but i will give it a shot :)

http://www.playuptools.com/

Thanks
    - Ben

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. mmiranda

mmiranda

Hi!

I created a small city in CityEngine using the openstreetmap data (osm file), where I've the latitude, longitude and some others details of each node. Now I want to export this information to the Unity3d, so I exported the city as fbx file. At this point everything is going ok.

The problem is ... in cityEngine each block/shape represents a different object, however in unity3d this is not happen. The data is divided per texture (or something like that). But I need to recognize each block/shape or at least I need to know the right position of them.