Search Unity

[QUESTION] Breath of the wild grass

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by killesau, Jul 24, 2019.

1. killesau

killesau

Hi all, hope you're having a great day.

I was just wondering what the team that worked on botw did to be able to place such mass amounts of grass everywhere while having it part where link walks. I have made a shader that does something similar to parting when an object intersects with it.

However placing mass amounts of grass objects in my scene drops my fps and the game becomes unplayable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

AhmadMcreator likes this.
  2. Wezai

Wezai

I would also like to know. Does anyone have access to the game models from that game? I know that a lot of people have figured out Wind Waker and you can see many of their techniques used there that could also be used in BotW.

3. Mauri

Mauri

It's just shader magic, really.

The problem is that Unity's built-in terrain system doesn't handle grass really well... I don't know if that changed with the new terrain system (haven't give it a test drive yet). There should be two fields in the Terrain settings that you can adjust: "Detail Resolution" and "Detail Resolution per Patch" (see https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/terrain-OtherSettings.html).

Third-party assets like Vegetation Studio Pro, which replaces the standard tree and detail system in the Unity terrain component, also exists.