Search Unity

Question about using Gamelift dedicated server for real production game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by trunghieu974, Nov 30, 2021.

1. trunghieu974

trunghieu974

Hi all, I'm creating a game similar to Among Us, using mirror for networking and gamelift for dedicated server.
    I've completed all game features, and ready to launch production.
    But i have some question about gamelift:
    - Currently, i create 1 gamefleet to host server instance, but if i launch this game to global, i think 1 GameFleet is not enough. So how many GameFleet i need? I need some references of other multiplayer games but not found.
    - How to test performance of 1 GameFleet? I want to check how many rooms 1 GameFleet can run at same time ( ofcourse i don't have enough 100 devices for testing :D ).
    - I created GameFleet with c5.2xlarge instance, the cost is estimated about 10$/day. If this fleet can run 20 room for example ( my game maximum is 6 players/ room). So if i want to serve 1000 players, ~160 rooms, i need to create 8 game fleet ~ 80$/ day. If 10.000 players i need 800$ and so on. is this cost is too much for Multiplayer game? or is it normal?
    If you have any experience with multiplayer game, please share with me :D
    Thank you very much!
    (sorry for my bad English :D )

2. Samsle

Samsle

Why did you create a c5.2xlarge instance, and not like a c5.large instance which is way cheaper? Especially because it seems that you don't know the performance impact of your game?

Besides that, I'm also interested in this topic. Did you have already a look into your gamelift metrics window? There you can see a graph of your cpu consumption. Just note the number for idle, spawn a gamesession, note this number too and the difference is your cpu consumption for one gamesession in this instance. Then you can roughly estimate how many sessions this one instance can run.

But regarding your example, I think that 10$ per day for max. 120 CCU (concurrent users) is way too much. But maybe I'm wrong o_O

3. trunghieu974

trunghieu974

I've optimazed my game and now it can run on C5.xlarge instance. (or even c5.large). The cost is lower (~6$ / day for 1 on-demand instance). what do you think about that cost? is this acceptable? :D

4. Samsle

Samsle

First of, I'm not a professional, I just try to accomplish something similar :)

And of course it also depends on your monetarization.
    But to your case again:
    Then this c5.xlarge is a windows instance with 160$/month? But then, why not Linux since its cheaper?

And also a very important question: How many sessions you can run in one of these instances with each 6 players in it? Or another way to ask: How much cpu does it use on c5.xlarge or c5.large for one session, so we can calculate it?