Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Question About the Runtime Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickstv1972, Mar 23, 2024.

1. mickstv1972

mickstv1972

I have a question about the new runtime fee. Does the runtime fee calculation reset back to zero at the end of financial year, or is it perpetual ?

i.e. gross revenue and initial engagements reset back to zero.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Neither.

Revenue is always the last 12 months (it’s not fiscal year, it’s 12 months trailing / rolling).

And initial engagements is live to date and only goes up.

mickstv1972 and Ryiah like this.
  3. mickstv1972

mickstv1972

Thanks for the reply.

So to get my head around this because I'm struggling, if I hit a million plus engagements that's one category met. But if the gross revenue stays under one million for each 12 month period, I would never reach the runtime fee so would never have to pay the runtime monthly fee ?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

According to what they’ve announced so far, yes, that is correct. Not sure if what will go in effect will be exactly this though, so who knows what will actually happen.

mickstv1972 and Ryiah like this.
  5. mickstv1972

mickstv1972

Guess it's just a waiting game for 6 to come out.

Thanks again for the replies....

6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Correct.

Also, if you are paying the fee because you're over both thresholds, but then your revenue drops back below the $1mil mark over the trailing 12 months (e.g. because your game is getting older and people aren't so interested in it now) then you stop paying the fee.

7. mickstv1972

mickstv1972

Thanks for the reply.