Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Question About The RTX 2060 Super Light Backing Performance

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by WinterboltGames, May 4, 2021.

1. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

A computer store where I live has some great deals on some graphics cards, I found an RTX 2060 Super for 349 USD.

I would like to know if anyone owns this card and tried baking complex scenes with it? I currently own a GTX 1050 TI and it performs very poorly.

2. Zylex

Zylex

I have a rig with a 2070 SUPER(8GB ram) and having trouble to properly bake my big scenes with 4k lightmaps. On another PC I have a 6800 XT with 16GB and it works really good. Upgrading to that new card will only give you 2GB vram extra.

It really depends on how big your scene is but I have found GPU baking very VRAM intensive very quickly and would recommend an AMD card with 16GB or NVidia with 24GB as it can handle anything without going OOM.

Unity will fix this in the future so it is easier on the memory usage but as of now it still isn't there yet.

If you have no trouble with running out of memory and it is just bake speed you are after then upgrading to the 2060 super will definitely speed up baking. I would guess bakes will complete atleast twice as fast.

WinterboltGames likes this.
  3. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah, I only care about speed (and to be honest Nvidea has some extra features).

4. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

A few years ago, I used PLM CPU to bake a scene in 10 minutes , and the same scene was baked in 5 hours in Unreal Engine 4.
    Now with a cheap graphics (GT 1030) , same scene will be baked in a few seconds
    Don't take it too hard ...

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I bake heavy scenes with The Bakery on a 6GB 2060. I'm sure it'll even work with your 1050 because it adapts to available VRAM.

6. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Thanks for your reply! Does ray tracing provide any extra benefits? And may I also ask how long on average does it take to bake your scenes?