Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about slow editor performance

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by GerPronouncedGrr, Apr 30, 2021.

1. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

Over the past year, I've noticed that Unity has begun performing worse and worse on my computer. I first noticed the slowdown in 2019.x and it has become worse in 2020.x and 2021.x. I have also noticed, however, that other CPU intensive programs have also begun to run poorly for me in the past year or so. I'm currently still running an AM3+ chip, an FX-8320 3.5GHz to be precise. I don't know much about chipset architecture, but I have heard that modern chipsets are supposed to be an order of magnitude more performant that what I have.

My question is: has Unity become less performant, or do I really just need a new chipset?

2. I think (as always) the combination of both is true. Unity does more and more stuff over time and your CPU doesn't get younger by the minute. But I would think twice buying anything nowadays.
    Also Unity probably has some bugs to iron out, you probably want to check this thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/lots-of-busy-hold-on-etc.833644/page-8

3. tree_arb

tree_arb

Toggling back to unity in a new empty project after any script change pauses seemingly longer than the past. Unless its my imagination.

it bothered me enough that I ended up disabling the auto refresh option to avoid this pause, and set it to asset refresh only on play

4. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

Yeah, I've seen multiple threads on this issue in the past couple months, seems like a widespread issue. But for some reason Unity engineers "can't replicate it" in house. :rolleyes:

5. Well, they have access to only a limited set of hardware and combination of software setups. And Unity allows infinite ways to set up your project, so it is certainly a possibility that they can't reproduce the problem of the handful of people (out of couple of millions) on the forum...