Search Unity

Question about selling assets that partially use preview packages

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by smasters654, Jun 1, 2019.

1. smasters654

smasters654

Hello,

I am developing a tileset that works with the unity tilemap to hopefully make it to the unity asset store. Some of my tiles are animated and as so need unity’s “rule tile” from their GitHub and I don’t want to include those scripts for obvious reasons. Yet I do want to set all the tiles up beforehand so whoever purchases the tileset/pack doesn’t have to sit there, set them up and waste time on their end. How should I go about this?

One way I thought of was to set up the rule tiles and then remove the rule tile scripts before uploading, then just mention in my documentation and listing that you need the rule tiles to get the animation tiles working properly, but that seems like it could go bad, if the buyer doesn’t understand.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. halley

halley

Make two demo scenes or otherwise split it into folders; "this set works without the pre-release feature" and "this set should work with the final feature once they release it."

3. smasters654

smasters654

But what about the prefabs I have setup that hold the tilemap rule tile script, without the script it would give warnings/errors right? Also I may have use the wrong wording in my title, it’s from the unity github and not a preview package.

4. halley

halley

Scripts can include #if statements, or you can make two scripts.

If I buy something on the store, then find it has a dependency on a poorly maintained or half-baked library in beta stage, instantly loses review stars. Heck, any dependency on a 3rd party asset I don't have would piss me off.

But if I buy something that works out of the box and ALSO has a folder full of "ready to integrate with this other thing" then that's a value proposition, even if I don't already have that thing. You see this with "PlayMaker support integrated" or "now works with Gaia" or "compatible with Curved World shaders."

The root asset you're offering should be standalone if at all possible.

Kybernetik likes this.