Search Unity

Question Question about Reducing Server Cost

Discussion in 'Game Server Hosting' started by eman826, Jan 23, 2024.

1. eman826

eman826

So have Unity Multiplay servers running for my game. It's costing about $2.50 per day, but my player base is extremely small and my game is very simple (around 10 network objects per match), so I'm trying to understand how I can reduce cost.
    The only thing I know is if I set server minimum to 0 I can eliminate most of my cost, but if I do that then whenever I want to play I have to wait a few minutes for the server to boot up which is unacceptable. Is it possible to get a lower spec cloud machine? or designate less CPU and RAM?

EDIT:
    For extra context here, right now I'm running one GCP-N2 cloud machine with 14 servers, 7.14% CPU allowance each and 585.14 MB RAM allowance each. I don't need 14 servers but I had tried previously to raise this count to reduce the cost of the single server that is always active, which didn't work. No idea if it's possible to downgrade machines.

2. AndrewParkes_Unity

AndrewParkes_Unity

Unity Technologies

There wont be a huge amount you can do on your end other than what you already mentioned by setting your servers to 0 however I understand that is not a optimal method.
    I would suggest reaching out to Multiplay (Game Server Hosting) support to understand the costs and if they are able to support with a different instance type. I am not certain if the additional fees to be a managed customer will outweigh the change in costs of using a single smaller instance type but worth reaching out.

3. eman826

eman826

Ok, thank you for your reply Andrew.