Search Unity

Question About Publishing Unity Project On Casual Game Sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by El_Ejcovero, Aug 3, 2012.

1. El_Ejcovero

El_Ejcovero

I am not too sure where to post this, but here it is:
    I am working on a project with some of my friends. We are debating on what engine to use, I am a strong advocate for Unity, as I have been working with it for awhile now and the engine is very cross-platform. I think a big factor in our decision, or rather a factor that will make everyone go with Unity willingly. Are Unity games able to be posted on any casual game sites?

Specifically, I would be interested in these sites:
    Armor Games
    KONGREGATE
    NEWGROUNDS
    BubbleBox
    miniclip

I know Unity is browser compatible, but I would like to know, will these sites post your Unity project? I want to know if anyone has released on any of these sites? Are they good with Unity player? Or maybe we should release on this site with a Unity Flash build? Does anyone have games they uploaded to show? Do they limit you in any way?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

2. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Miniclip and Kongregate will take the webplayer. Shockwave would as well, if they're still of any importance these days.

I've never heard of BubbleBox. I'm not aware of Armor Games or Newgrounds accepting Unity webplayer, but you could use the Flash export functionality for these and all of the sites.

Presumably it's a 2D game you're after making? And presumably it won't need any fancy shaders or advanced graphics techniques? If that's the case, I would definitely tend towards Flash export. Even if the sites accept your game as a weblplayer, it doesn't mean you'll get as many downloads as you would with a Flash version. The Flash version is still a WIP, so if you need advanced 3D graphics, there could be some areas which are lacking.

3. El_Ejcovero

El_Ejcovero

Yeah, it will be primarily a 2D game, may have some 3D elements, but yeah, no advanced shaders or advanced graphics techniques, at least not at the moment. I haven't really used the Flash feature in Unity, guess I could play around with it, make something to show the others. But thanks for your input. Still would want to know about the other websites and the Unity player, if anyone knows.

4. seanlloydbooth

seanlloydbooth

Flash would definitely be the way forward when Unity 4 comes out, just because of the amount of sites which support flash, the number of existing people who have Flash installed compared to the Unity Plugin, and the number of people who just don't install the Unity plugin when it pops up.

Are you developing for something other than Webplayer (i.e. a platform like iOS/Android/PC which you can monetize?), since you mentioned Unity's cross-platform abilities. I'm curious myself if making a webplayer version of a game to promote a paid version of the same game is viable.

5. El_Ejcovero

El_Ejcovero

Once HTML5 comes out and Youtube switches to that, Flash's days are numbered, at least that is what some of us figure. On what you are planning to do, that may work, give it a try. :p

6. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

7. dxcam1

dxcam1

dude....necro...

8. C-MOT

C-MOT

dont care necro, thx a lot for post and vid :D