Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about pay to own

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flim, Jan 8, 2021.

1. flim

flim

I have Unity Pro perpetual license. I read this and found there is a "pay to own"
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/05/subscription-why/

Is "pay to own" still available for perpetual license owner?
    If still available, which plan should I choose, and how long for the subscription?

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

No. That was dropped a long time ago. There is just subscription now.

Kiwasi, Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Generally the answer is Unity Personal. Only choose a plan if you don't meet the requirements (a gross annual income of $100,000) or need to remove the splash screen from your game.

Unity's subscriptions have a minimum of twelve months.

4. flim

flim

How the gross annual income calculate? For instance, I work for a company that is not using Unity at all, and my salary is over $100,000 annually, then I have to buy subscription?

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yes. It doesnt matter about whether the company you use has unity, it matters about how much the user is paid (which would be you). If you are paid $100k+, you can afford unity plus. I am paid far less than that and I can afford unity plus.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

You can always crate a company, as an entity, which uses Unity.
    Then income would be based on that company, related specifically to its Unity projects.

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Tier Eligibility is defined in EULA like this:
    https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

So it is a bit more complex. (DId they change the terms recently? It used to be "your income from using unity:)

Martin_H and SparrowGS like this.
  8. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

it still is, 3rd point says
    • if you are an individual using the Unity Software, but not providing services to a third party, your Total Finances are the amount generated in connection with your use of the Unity Software. In this case, your Total Finances would not include amounts you generate from other work (for example, if your day job is as a zookeeper).
    i'm not sure what the other stuff mean exactly...

9. Zomby138

Zomby138

What happens if you release a game, then stop using unity altogether, but your game is generating more than 100k.

Do you need to keep paying for a licence?

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, because strange as it may sound you're not actually paying for the game engine itself but rather the editor you create your game in. Check the quotes below. In the first one it mentions a subscription for "Unity Software". How does the license define "Unity Software"?

The license defines it as "all versions and updates of all the downloadable Unity [...] software products identified on Unity's website."

While you would think that would include the runtime since the runtime is downloaded with the editor there is a separate definition for the runtime which indicates that it is separate from the editor.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Martin_H likes this.
  11. neginfinity

neginfinity

The other stuff appears to mean that if you're subcontracted by someone who earns over $100k, or are employed by someone who earns over $100k, then regardless of their source of the income, you need to subscribe, even if their source of income has nothing to do with unity.

This is significantly less convenient than "revenue from your use of Unity".

That's assuming I'm reading this right.

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

If you're using Unity for reasons that have nothing to do with your employer (i.e. you're making a game in your spare time), then it doesn't matter what your employer is paying you - what matters is how much money you're making through your use of Unity. As @neginfinity and @SparrowsNest quoted:

As an individual, you will only stop being eligible for Unity Personal if your spare-time game is generating more than $100,000 per year - at which point, hopefully you do not mind giving us $400 for a Plus license :)

As @Ryiah says - if your game is happily released and you're just sitting back and letting the money roll in and not actually using the Editor to do any further active development on the game, then you don't need any kind of subscription any more. That said, most customers find that they do need to do updates from time to time (especially on mobile), at which point, to do the update, you would need a Plus or Pro license if your game has been making over $100,000.