Search Unity

Question Question about OpenXR + Unity

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by JudahMantell, Apr 27, 2021.

1. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Sorry if this is a silly question, maybe I'm not understanding the docs correctly:

I'm developing a VR application that I don't want to sell on Steam for a few reasons that I won't get into.
    I want the app to be compatible with Vive and Index controllers/headsets as well as WMR and Oculus (I'm using a Quest + link).
    Up until now, I have just been using the SteamVR plugin, but I didn't realize it was not okay to do so for a paid app if I don't plan on distributing through Steam. (I was just attacked on r/Steam for asking this honest question :().
    If I port my app to use Unity's XR Toolkit with OpenXR, will I not have this problem?
    Or will I still be required to distribute on Steam just having support for those headsets?
    Additionally, if I only have a Quest 2, am I still able to support the headsets at all? Or do I have to buy those as well to add support? That was one of the plusses to using SteamVR.

Thanks!

2. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

I dont believe one needs to release an app on the steam store to use Steam VR as the OpenXR runtime. You would need to check with valve to be sure on that though. If you use OpenXR your app will work on any headset that supports OpenXR, the only issue is whether or not you set up useful bindings for the other headsets. That is something you could potentially work with on users who have the headsets you do not have though.

3. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Interesting, thank you for the reply!
    EDIT: Do you mean that without the other headsets/controllers, I won't be able to set up input at all, or just not able to test it (obviously)?
    Like, in the Unity XR/OXR plugins, are there basic inputs such as trigger, grip, face button, and touchpad/joystick that I can use? I feel like those are pretty much universal to all controllers.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  4. the_real_apoxol

the_real_apoxol

Unity Technologies

Just not test it, you could enable those interaction features and then farm out testing to people you know who have the headsets or just take the risk your released product would work :)

As far as bindings go if you use the generic bindings like `<XRController>/triggerPressed` then yes you will likely be fine on most devices.

5. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

Ah, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!