Search Unity

Question about non static content

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ELaino, Sep 28, 2019.

1. ELaino

ELaino

Let's say I have a group with this settings:

-Bundle mode: Pack separately
    -Static content: false
    -Bundle naming: no hash

-A remote catalog and a remote load path

This is my group when i release the app:

Group_A
    -Asset_1
    -Asset_2
    -Asset_3

Then I make some change to the Asset_1, I build player content and I upload all at my remote load path.

The client will download all the Group_A or only the Asset_1?

2. HugoClip

HugoClip

By default there are no individual assets in the Addressables System, everything is inside an asset bundle. So your Group_A would be downloaded.

3. ELaino

ELaino

Are you sure?
    I cant find this in the documentation

4. HugoClip

HugoClip

I'm 100% sure, by default, which means no custom Build Scripts. Every asset is in inside an asset bundle. (This of course if you don't include the link.xml, catalog and settings file)
    Just check the output of your Addressables Build Content, your can view the bundles there.

5. ELaino

ELaino

As I said in the first post, the bundle mode is set to pack separately, so each asset of the group is on a separated bundle.

6. HugoClip

HugoClip

Ah sorry, my bad, I completely missed that. Tbh I haven't really worked with pack separately, so I'm not 100% sure.
    But since they are different asset bundles, they should independent from each other. (unless you have asset dependencies between them)

7. ELaino

ELaino

Ok, thanks HugoClip!

8. HugoClip

HugoClip

To reassure you I just did a couple of tests and it's working exactly like that.

9. unity_bill

unity_bill

So you:
    1. build player content & a player
    2. publish it all, release a player
    3. change Asset_1
    4. do "build for content update"
    5. publish new bundles.

this will make the player only download the new Asset_1. You cannot just do a new "build player content". Well, maybe you could if you were using the "Player Version Override". ok, likely you could in that scenario. but in general, you'd need to do the build for update, so that the catalog built in step 4 is recognizable by the player built in step 1.

in short, at runtime, there is no concept of "groups". If a group happened to be built into 1 bundle, the player knows about that 1 bundle. If it was built into hundreds of bundles, the player knows about all of them. no awareness that the hundreds did or did not come from a thing called a "group"

IS_Twyker likes this.