Search Unity

Question about Materials and Optimization

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Joewa654321_, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Joewa654321_

Joewa654321_

Hi all,

I had a question about optimizing my game. When I began the game I am currently creating, I wanted to stay away from textures and use a solid color art style both due to my own personal preference and the desire to keep away from having to implement textures to save on performance/time as I am all alone on my project. After doing some searching, I realized that materials may also be an inefficient method especially when placed on multiple individual objects. My current methods involve creating objects in blender made up of multiple gameObjects (ie. a sword with objects representing the blade, hilt/pommel, and handle) which can then be colored using materials in game as I plan on reusing the same models for different item tiers.

Here is an example of a few item tests I have created so far. The armor pieces each have two objects (ie. Trim/shoulder pads for the torso), sword has 3 objects.
    upload_2021-9-29_7-56-52.png

My question is whether this is an efficient way of handling colors in my game or is there a more efficient method of achieving the same effects? Thank you for any suggestions

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

The method you are contemplating is solid. I've used it in many of my games, such as Pilot Kurt, which features artwork from this fellow's Discord, and this video details his Blender palette setup:

He's also got a great Discord channel too.