Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Legality, Copyright. Playing Audio files from Player's PC during online multiplayer.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGameNewBie, Jun 17, 2018.

1. TheGameNewBie

TheGameNewBie

The Concept is simple, The user can load .mp3 files from a folder into the game at runtime. After loading, the user can animate the lights in the game based on the music. Once done, The user can play the music while playing the game during online multiplayer too. If the user hosts a server, he/she can play the loaded audio files from his/her computer, if the user is a client then there is an option to send the user's audio files and lighting animation to the host So the host can play them. Everyone the on the server will be able to hear the music.

So, my question is, If the user places .mp3 of a song by an Artist which I don't have license to(because I can't tell what the user will put in the folder) and then plays the music during online multiplayer, Will it be a copyright infringment? Can I get sued for licensing issues? Even if I didn't provide those music files with the game? I need to decide whether to put this feature in the game or not.

It will probably be a commercial game.

Thanks for your help.

2. sxa

sxa

You're basically talking about filesharing. Just to be clear, sending a media file to someone else is redistribution, and redistribution of copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner is a breach of that copyright.
    Creating a filesharing mechanism and encouraging breach of copyright as part of your game/application is not a thing which will end well legally, IMO.

Kiwasi, Socrates and angrypenguin like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Between these questions and it being a commercial game you're going to want to ask a lawyer.

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'm no lawyer, but I think you would be fine, especially if you have as part of the conditions that you aren't responsible for what they do. Torrent software is not illegal, but using it for piracy is. It's a fine line though, and we've seen some things get shut down in the past.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

In case nobody else knew there was a game called All Points Bulletin that allowed exactly that... but again I don't know and would advise that you ask a lawyer.

6. TheGameNewBie

TheGameNewBie

Ok, So I guess that is not possible.

Just one more question(Just for Comfirmation), It will be okay if I played predetermined songs online, Right?
    I am thinking of making a couple of tracks myself (So the user won't be able to add new tracks), Since the tracks will be made by me, I can play those tracks during online multiplayer, right?

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need a lawyer, but in general
    I believe that would be a copyright infrigemenet.

This is basically broadcasting and for that you need broadcasting rights/permission.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My "I am not a lawyer" opinion is you are violating copyright by sending the audio file, assuming the clients do not already have that song in their collection.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

If we gonna get precise, then he ain't sending it. He is streaming it.

10. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

I had a talk with someone about this a few months back, it isn't legal everywhere to do that without paying to stream that media because major companies protect said media. Could you get away with it as a very unpopular game? Sure. Should you do it if you don't want to be sued? No.

@TheGameNewBie You can stream your own music or any you have licensed.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Bear in mind @TheGameNewBie that purchased does NOT mean licensed in case you weren't sure.

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I disagree. The OP used the word "send", and also specifies functionality for the client to send audio files to the host which when played from the host would also play for all clients. Presumably the file transfer from the originating client to the host would be completed before any streaming to the other clients. The transfer from the originating client to the host would then not be streaming, but a simple file copy, and the following sentences imply that the host would hold onto these transferred files for some duration.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

On the upside there is a plethora of musicians looking to get in on the game dev business at reddit/gamedevclassifieds.

14. TheGameNewBie

TheGameNewBie

OK, I am gonna put this feature in the game, but only with limited songs, which will probably be made by me, so no question of copyrights.

I know that, but thanks for your help anyway.

Thank you all for the help.

Deleted User likes this.