Search Unity

Audio Question about importing OGG audio file (Unity2019)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by SymbionProject, Jun 14, 2020.

1. SymbionProject

SymbionProject

Hi all, I've been working on a music project that was using wav files at first, and when I imported them they were correctly being converted to .ogg format. However, the Unity project was keeping all the wav files in the assets/audio folder making my project size enormous. So I decided to convert all my wavs to .ogg beforehand, then bring them into Unity and bring overall project data size down by a significant amount by no longer using wav files.

So I bring my .ogg files in but in the inspector it appears they're being converted to ogg a 2nd time? In the attached picture you can see an imported ogg (7.7Mb, down from the 29Mb of the wav file) but then it shows it being compressed down to 3.3Mb? Why is this? It's already an ogg file so it doesn't need further compression or really anything done to it. I've searched Google for answers and various Unity forums but can't find the answer. I can't seem to find any Unity import preferences either that might address this issue.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated ~ thanks!

Unity_AudioImport.JPG

2. scritchy

scritchy

I have the same question.
    Or, TLDR: is there a way to get unity to use the ogg files as provided vs decompressed and recompressed?

3. r618

r618

All (supported) audio assets are transcoded into Unity internal representation, regardless of their original format (so that includes 'Ogg' files) when they're imported.
    - that representation is slightly different from standard ogg/vorbis codec -
    So your audio assets should be in uncompressed format only - which is not ideal, no doubt, but there's no way around it currently.