Search Unity

Question about GuiText

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Martin-Schultz, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Hey guys,

I've been playing yesterday with the (very nice) marble tutorial and found something interesting I'd like to ask. When the tutorial was about to add a GuiText object, I did so and the guiText string came up on the game view. I noticed then that there appeared also a 3D gizmo for that Guitext in the scene view. I moved then the 3D gizmo around and the GuiText moved away from the screen.

So basically my question is, why is there a 3d gizmo for a 2d text screen/hud element? I expected (at first) to be able to move the 2D Guitext object on the game screen around, but not by moving it in the 3d view.

Uhm, while writing this I think it might be to be able to automatically scale/re-position the guitext element according to the user's screen resolution. Might be a point. Anyway, do I see that right that even the 2D elements are in truth 3D elements?

Thanks,
    Martin :)

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Except for 3D Text, no, GUI Text and GUI Texture are 2D. The Z value is used for the order in which they are drawn, and has no effect otherwise, nor does the rotation widget.

--Eric