Search Unity

Question about gamemap and 3d modeling

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by mel619, Dec 5, 2022.

1. mel619

mel619

Hi im a videogame developer student so im just starting with unity and 3d modeling, and i decided that i want to make a horror videogame to practice. This game that i have in mind takes place in a building, a 4 floor building to be more precise. But i have some questions on how to aproach this, first i think im going to use blender for the 3d models and assets like doors windows etc, but the question is should i model the building as one big thing or should i divide the parts of the building and assemble them in unity? i have no idea how most of professionals create maps in unity so if someone could give me a hand i would apreciate it.

Thanks!

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

As for the building: make the base of the building 1 mesh (better for optimization). Only reason to create it in "sections" is if you want to build other buildings from those sections (which you dont, as you said "a (1) 4 floor building").

If you want a "jump start", search on the Asset Store for Flooded Grounds (yes its free). FG is a premade scene with great horror style buildings, setting, and you can mod it, change it, do anything you want with it. Ive used it a few times, really good...

mel619 likes this.
  3. mel619

mel619

thanks for the advice, ill take a look at your recommendation!

warthos3399 likes this.