Search Unity

Question About Game Design in Gimp

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by qiveal, Feb 6, 2022.

1. qiveal

qiveal

I'm a fairly new game dev, I'm using gimp to design all of my assets, I'm not a good designer i've been watching a lot of tutorials to get better, the problem is a lot of the tutorials are in photoshop so I have to find ways around a lot of things. My problem in gimp is that when I try to design and create a clipping mask I can only draw in that clipping mask with one color I cannot change it for me that color is a Gray.

2. spiney199

spiney199

Game Design is the art of designing a game (ergo, how the mechanics, levels, content, all come together), not so much about the actual creation of said assets. This is more a question about asset creation, art and pipelines.

Actually, I feel like this is just a question about the usage of GIMP, which, frankly, is pretty bad if it's similar to when I used it a few years ago. I believe nowadays there are somewhat comparable free/cheap options to Photoshop that leave GIMP in the dust, not that I know any specifically as I just use, well, Photoshop. The only one I can remember that I know is good is Kirta for painting: https://krita.org/en/

You might have more luck with your issue asking it through any of GIMP's actual support channels.

3. qiveal

qiveal

Thanks just asked here, because I was directed here.

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Did you figure it out?