Search Unity

Resolved Question about draw calls (batches) and performance on Mobile

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Mornedil, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Mornedil

Mornedil

Hi! I'm developing my game for Mobile devices and have a question about what my best option is regarding performance for my main character's model/textures.

The main character consists of 3 models that can be mixed and matched together; A body, ears, and a tail.
    Each of them are skinned meshes, so they add 1 draw call each even if they all use the same texture. I've tested performance and decided that 3 draw calls for the "hero" is acceptable.

Now, my question is regarding textures for this character.
    I've read that the best practice is to stick to a single texture when possible, to reduce the number of draw calls.

But since each of the models already add 1 draw call due to being skinned meshes, does it matter (performance-wise) if I use 1 big texture, or 3 smaller ones? I'll end up with the same number of batches regardless (I just don't know if each batch will process slower if there's more texture swapping going on?)

As a side note, My workflow would be easier if I used multiple textures due to the mix-and-match system, I just want to make sure it doesn't trade off too much performance, in which case i would have to rethink some things.

2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Off the top of my head I'd say your throughput is going to be faster by using (3) smaller texture maps versus using (1) large texture. On disk memory is likely going to be smaller as well, especially if you use good compression and sizing.

Mornedil likes this.