Search Unity

Question about developing/releasing in 3.5 beta

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by Helk, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Helk

Helk

Hi. My team is starting a new project soon and we're wondering if we can start with the 3.5 developer preview and continue working on it until the full version is released. I saw something about a 'time limited' beta, so I'm wondering if we'd be able to use 3.5 all the way up until the full version came out and then upgrade to that, or if we should just stick with 3.4 until 3.5 is out officially. I'm not worried about the potential beta issues, more of a logistics question. Thanks.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your 3.5 project will smoothly upgrade to 3.5 final. As always if you are doing production work it's best to stick with stable 3.4.

3. Helk

Helk

Thanks hipp0, I'm not currently concerned with stability issues, what I'm asking is will we be able to use the 3.5 preview all the way up until 3.5 final is out, or will it be disabled at some point and my 3.5 project will be in limbo waiting for 3.5 final

4. Tapgames

Tapgames

I too want to know if you can work with the beta till 3.5 final comes out?

5. tripknotix

tripknotix

One issue with 3.5 beta, is there is no public 3.5 web player, and Flash 11.2 will disable Unity flash games from being playable.

So it simply comes down to this, if your planning to release your product in about 3-6 months youll probably have unity 3.5 officially released, and you might have a newer verison of flash that will re-enable unity's flash export.

But if you need your game playable online right now or before then. then go back to 3.4 because normal users cannot use 3.5 beta web player. that only comes if u download the 500mb sdk that u downloaded

6. Arowx

Arowx

Darn it was making some fun progress with one of my games on 3.5. Didn't realise that it wouldn't work with flash 11.2, with a 3-6 month before release timeline I would be stranding my projects.

Bad Unity giving me a cool way to procrastinate! ;)

7. marjan

marjan

Actually a very interesting question as i read, that madfinger had access to 3.5 or some of its features, namely lightprobes, a long time ago in shadowgun.
    And obviously they released it.

8. tripknotix

tripknotix

so your saying some features of 3.5 are compatible with Unity Web Player 3.4, if they target 3.4 (which im not sure u have the option to do)