Search Unity

Question about Corners

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Multithreaded_Games, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Multithreaded_Games

Multithreaded_Games

Hi all!

I'm using CalculatePath to return a new path and then accessing the corners variable there in order to see if any of the 'waypoints' are outside of a designated movement radius.

I need this to be faster than it currently is (I'm calling it a bunch of times per frame) and after looking at the profiler, it looks like CalculateCornersInternal is being called (or something) whenever I access corners. That begs the question, then, what is CalculatePath doing exactly? The NavMeshPath only has a few fields--is it not itself filling the corners when you call CalculatePath? Is there a way to 'cache' these corners at the same time that CalculatePath is being called?

Thanks!

2. JBR-games

JBR-games

3. Multithreaded_Games

Multithreaded_Games

Thanks for the answer. My question is more related to, 'Why does Unity incur an extra penalty when I access the corners' array, even though I've already calculated the path (and presumably, the corners) using the CalculatePath function beforehand?

What is a NavMeshPath, except a collection of corners (points)? I'm somewhat confused as to how the corners aren't already known to the path returned by CalculatePath.

I suspect this would require someone from Unity to chime in as we can't see the internals of it.

JBR-games likes this.
  4. snacktime

snacktime

You can actually to some extent, as it's based on https://github.com/recastnavigation/recastnavigation.

navmesh pathfinding has multiple steps it's just how it works. You have tiles and polygons within the tile and the path within a polygon and finally string pulling, or straightening the path.