Search Unity

Question About Copyright / IP.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asii, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Asii

Asii

So i am making a game inspired by the Naruto universe. Naruto is protected by IP ofc. but im a little confused as for how wide that protection is. I don't intend on using any of the story or characters from the show, though i do intend on using the artstyle and conceps from naruto like genjustu, ninjutsu, hand seals, chakra stuff like that, and make a pretty accurate parallel in that regard. Should that be a problem?

I see it as gameplay ideas taken from the show, like when 2 shooters uses the same weapons, mecanincs and such.

hope someone could clear it up thanks in advance :)

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Artstyle can't be copyrighted. The martial arts styles you mention are real world things that aren't covered by copy right. Plus they predate the show significantly.

So you are pretty much good to go.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Asii

Asii

Thanks for the answer.

I came to think of something i don't know if you watched the show but, stuff like sharingang and byakugan that is concepts made by the writer Kishimoto. That could cause problems right? like using lightsaber or some other concept from star wars would be.

4. arvzg

arvzg

There really isnt a black and white answer to this sort of thing, only general guidelines. If you're looking for someone to tell you your idea is OK from a legal standpoint, only a lawyer can do that and even he/she can be wrong.

You can draw inspirations from other works, but that's where it should stop at. Inspirations. If you're already concerned about being too similar, chances are I'd say you are already too similar.

Having said that, just because your game has 'ninjas', 'eye powers' and 'villages' doesn't necessarily mean it's grounds for legal action. Even a 'sword made of light' isn't something Disney owns as an idea. It's not like it's a patented idea.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's probably too far.

6. Asii

Asii

thanks for the answers helps alot! :)

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

According to the Naruto wiki entry on eye techniques it's likely Kishimoto drew inspiration from a 1959 novel. For that matter the whole concept of eye techniques is not just found in Naruto. You can find it from time to time in other series.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Dōjutsu#Inspiration

Asii likes this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

I think you need to ask a lawyer about it.

Basically, plugging Naruto characters into your game is almost certainly not allowed, when it comes to small details, it is less certain. It is unclear if "byakugan" is something they trademarked (probably not).

theANMATOR2b and Asii like this.
  9. neoshaman

neoshaman

AS long as you don't use the same visual, but I would say, if you are going to copy, copy from enough sources than the resulting mixed is its own things. The chakra system of Naruto is ispired by Hunter X hunter, it also take some hi concept from all manga happening before him, jojo bizarre adventure has been a huge influence in this type of "power with rules" anime. In fact making a world that is a remix fusion of all these things would be cool. Just be sure to add your own flair, find some inspiration OUTSIDE of the genre to add flavor and people might call you a genius.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'm not familiar with the subject matter - and I don't want to look it up. :confused: But from your description I'd say (not a lawyer) you are safe - good to go, as long as hand seals, chakra and stuff like that doesn't involve explicit symbols which might in fact be protected.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

At least some of this stuff is not naruto specific. For example, kuji-kiri and nunjutsu are actual things, and I bet naruto (never watched it) uses "Rin Pyou Tou Sha Kai Chin Retsu Zai Zen" somewhere (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuji-in ), because this stuff pops up anywhere where onmyoji are present . Chakras are from indian culture.

Good luck untangling this mess and figuring out which part of it is copyrighted.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you don't want to hire a lawyer to wade through this stuff, then maybe you should try observing a general rule of thumb I've come across: If your game can't be described without referencing the original property, you're doing something wrong.

Ryiah, zombiegorilla and Kiwasi like this.
  13. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sorry - I can't follow the triple negative here :) - is this your rule for games that are inspired by other properties?
    It seems if you can describe your creation without needing to reference another property - I'd say you are doing it right.
    Right? But that would be a completely original concept - good luck with that one.

If you can say "My game is kind of like this concept, but it's very different, here are the differences" that to me is a better rule of thumb.

14. FMark92

FMark92

This should be:
    If you can describe your creation without needing to reference another property, you're PROBABLY not doing anything wrong.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. Schneider21

Schneider21

Today I learned that I'm the only forum member (other than old man @theANMATOR2b) who doesn't watch or even know the first thing about anime and Japanese martial arts culture.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. neginfinity

neginfinity

There are probably few other people as well, but you could always just watch original Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Mononoke Hime, Tonari no Totoro ... or just anything made by studio Ghibli.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Does the Castlevania Netflix series count? :D

18. Schneider21

Schneider21

Yes. I am now all alone in the world.

neoshaman and theANMATOR2b like this.
  19. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Not completely.....I avoid anime at all costs.

20. Schneider21

Schneider21

We are now best friends. Expect your hand-crafted friendship bracelet and half-heart "...Forever" necklace in the mail shortly.

21. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Oh oh...the hemp kind with 2 little slipknots that still slightly reek of patchouli I hope. Im near giddy with excitement and will watch my mailbox close so the kid dosent try to take it.

Schneider21 likes this.
  22. neoshaman

neoshaman

FrankenCreations likes this.