Search Unity

Question about commercial games and assets (TextMeshPro)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PaperMouseGames, Jun 18, 2019.

1. PaperMouseGames

PaperMouseGames

Hi there! I'm pretty new to game development and one thing I've been struggling with is the legal side of things.

There are tons of great tutorials/courses/instructions on using Unity to make games, but a lot less resources that cover the legal and business side of things.

Now, from the googling I've done, it looks like if you buy an asset from the Unity asset store, you are free to use it in your game.

But I don't know about free assets. I also don't know if this just depends from asset to asset, so I have a few questions:

1. How do I check for sure if an asset I got in the Unity Asset store can be used in my game commercially?

2. If it can be, do I have to credit the original asset creator?

3. What about free assets (in particular TextMeshPro)? Can I use those in my commercial game?

I'm particularly interested in knowing if I can use TextMeshPro in my game that I plan to sell commercially (someday). This would be a huge help, but I don't know if i have to do anything to be able to legally use it.

Thanks so much in advance, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I genuinely have had a hard time understanding this and I know nothing about these things.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

The assets provided through the Package manager are all first-party Unity features and are free to use as though they were part of Unity itself.

As for the Asset Store assets:
    1) It's always free to use commercially, unless it says otherwise. If the seller does not explicitly mention any special license in the asset description then it is automatically covered by the asset store's default EULA, which is exactly the same for free and paid:
    https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms
    Skip down to 2.2.1 of appendix 1 to see the precise terms.

2) attribution is not necessary.

3) same answer as 1.

PaperMouseGames likes this.
  3. PaperMouseGames

PaperMouseGames

Thanks so much for the clear response, I guess I've been mostly worried since so many assets don't mention anything about this, but that means they are under the default EULA.

One final question:

Where would an asset say it, if it had a special license? Just in the description or is there a specific place to look on assets where that info is kept?

Again, thanks a lot!

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

just in the description. For example:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/unity-chan-model-18705
    At the bottom of the description it says:
    "This asset are licensed under the original EULA "Unity-Chan License (UCL)".
    You must read and accept UCL before use."

PaperMouseGames likes this.
  5. PaperMouseGames

PaperMouseGames