Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Question about cloud storage, what is uploaded? Is 1Gb even enough, projects get quite big

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by altepTest, Feb 23, 2021.

1. altepTest

altepTest

The free version of Unity Collaborate mentions 1Gb of cloud storage, from my experience, once you start adding a couple of assets unity projects get above 1Gb quite quickly, half of the files are not even assets but internal unity cache files and similar.

How this cloud storage works? what is uploaded there anyway? The entire project? Only the assets? Only the information about changes?

Sorry if maybe stupid question, I don't want to invest a couple of days to set this up on different computers just to find out that will never work because the could storage can't even contain a basic project.

2. - you have fairly standard .gitignore file called .collabignore you leave out whatever you like https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityCollaborateIgnoreFiles.html
    - 1GB is cozy for basic projects, obviously if you make a bigger project, you will need to either pay for the storage or look for other alternatives, there are plenty
    - Collaborate does not upload the library folder, so no cache file will be uploaded, and it is advisable to not to upload that folder whatever VC you're using
    - AFAIK Collaborate counts only the head as storage, so you don't lose your change sizes, as long as your head (the current active project) is less than a Gb, you're good

3. altepTest

altepTest

Taking a look at the assets folder for my two projects that I'm endlessly working for ages now, one is 2,5 Gb and the other is 1,2 Gb

Thank You for your answer. Since I'm alone working on this and wanted maybe an occasional collaboration I'm not sure I can justify the subscription price. Even if is quite low I can say that.

4. If you don't think Microsoft is the evilest evil on the face of the Earth, it is worth looking into Azure Devops, especially the Azure Repos part. It is a free and unlimited storage git-based service they offer for most people (public AND private).
    The main differences are:
    - you would need to handle the ignore file yourself (although the collabignore is an excellent starting point)
    - you would probably need to handle VCS outside of the Unity Editor (IDK if the GitHub asset store tool can handle it or not and what state it is in overall), like from SourceTree or even from Visual Studio or Rider (I use the later and it is actually enjoyable to use VCS finally, it is no longer a chore :D)
    - as a bonus you get project management tools as well, from basic tools (task-management) to more advanced kanban or scrum-stuff, if you see advantages of those.