Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Question about Asset Caching with Unity CCD and Addressables Asset System

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by shibatom1130, Dec 31, 2023.

1. shibatom1130

shibatom1130

Hi everyone,

I'm currently exploring the use of Unity Cloud Content Delivery (CCD) in conjunction with the Addressables Asset System for handling different app versions. I have a specific scenario in mind and would like to hear your thoughts or experiences regarding this.

When using Unity CCD and the Addressables Asset System, if we have separate buckets for each version of our app, what happens in the following scenario? Let's say we have an asset that already exists and is cached from the 1.0.0 version. Now, if we download the same asset from the 1.0.1 bucket, how does the system handle it? Specifically, I am considering two possibilities:

A. The same asset is overwritten or not downloading.
    B. The asset is treated as a separate entity, which results in both the asset downloaded from the 1.0.0 bucket and the asset downloaded from the 1.0.1 bucket being cached separately on the device.

I'm concerned that if assets from different version buckets (like 1.0.0 and 1.0.1) are cached separately, it might lead to excessive cache usage. This makes me reconsider the strategy of using separate buckets for each app version to avoid cache bloat.

I would appreciate any insights on how to handle this issue effectively or suggestions for more efficient cache management strategies.

Thanks for your input!