Search Unity

Question about 3d game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emilythecoyote1, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Emilythecoyote1

Emilythecoyote1

I was wondering if unity and xbox could handle around 800ish model probably less but

750 models would be dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures

The rest will be other stuff like guest, water,fences and stuff like that

Before yall ask, no it won't be added all at once but it's will be added in dlcs and stuff

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

Are those 750 unique 3d models? Because the amount feels like it is a bit large.
    To the date the largest number of unique creatues I've seen were in Shin Megami Tensei games.
    For example, "Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon" has 158 mostly unique enemy monsters.
    Another example, is "Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne" which has 217 (mostly) unique enemies.

750 is several times that amount.

3. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Which Xbox? Xbox One or Xbox Series X?

How many unique models? You can use DrawMeshInstanced to draw lots of the same model with minimal overhead.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Graphics.DrawMeshInstanced.html

How many of the models are dynamic? You get away with more static models.

Also, you can reduce draw calls by prebaking some objects. I recommend using MeshBaker for that.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Reading your post, and how its worded (i deal with this senario daily in my games), im guessing that not all 750 are different species, and is just a total/overall number. So your answer lies within the number of different species you have, which i would guess is far less than 750.

Also the "other objects", water, fences, and props have to be factored in, as they are still counted as rendered objects. So now combine the number of species of dinos, and the number of props, and that should give you your overall object count. Optimization will be your best friend, lol.

5. Emilythecoyote1

Emilythecoyote1

Well I'm gonna going try to go for planned 750 different species but at this point, I'm just looking at the list and trying to go a bit lower at this point

Since I was going to have like
    10 different raptor like creatures sharing the same 2 models and so on with the creatures family
    I mainly got the idea that games could have an butt load of items because terraria which has a true butt loud of stuff

Also hoping to get this game on xbox one and series x

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

If you have dinos sharing the same model, then they dont really count as different species, they count as 1. But the bigger picture is this, its the amount of rendered dynamic objects. And no, you cant have a buttload of objects being rendered, as there is always a cost.

Games that do have a buttload of dynamic objects, have a TEAM of developers, that dev systems to offset the workload, and your just a solo dev, NOT a team, with an endless budget (money), and resources. I understand your goal, and drive, but TBH, i think you have, (as they say), "bitten off much more than you can chew".

In no way am i trying to offend you, but, i think your lack of experience is getting the better of you, lol.

Antypodish likes this.
  7. Emilythecoyote1

Emilythecoyote1

No not 750 unique models also the game is a park builder

8. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Can you eat 750 things at once?

Depends on the things, right?;)

With that information the question cannot reasonably be answered. Why not make a test scene with these 750 models or comparable stand-ins and make an xbox build and see for yourself?

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. neginfinity

neginfinity

More than about 3 hundred models at once would likely require special techniques mentioned by wartho3399