Search Unity

Quest System Pro - Create quests, achievements and dialogues!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, May 3, 2016.

1. jorisshh

jorisshh

There's currently no importer, but this is someothing that can be added with relative ease (ignoring the parsing part of the importer). The coupling will be simple. Simply create a new Quest class (or use the built-in one), and set the needed values on the object; Next, save it to a scriptable object on disk. That's it.

Quest system pro does not have network events, but can be added with ease. The server can update the local quest and the UI will repaint through it's events. All you have to do is send the message to the client.

The reason this networking isn't built-in to quest system pro is because many games have very different backends. Because the quest system ties into all sorts of subsystems it's almost impossible to make a multiplayer framework out of it. All you have to do now is all the client to update it's quest whenever something happens on the server side.

2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you. I hope get this to work.

3. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Hi! I'm trying to use it with Unity 2017.2.0b2, but Physics Raycaster API seemed to change, so I get errors.
    They introduced Max Ray Intersections, with default value 0, and I had to change it to 1 (on MainCamera game object), because if it equals 0 it causes error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.PhysicsRaycaster.Raycast (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 resultAppendList) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/Raycasters/PhysicsRaycaster.cs:133)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.RaycastAll (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 raycastResults) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:188)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerInputModule.GetMousePointerEventData (Int32 id) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/InputModules/PointerInputModule.cs:207)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.ProcessMouseEvent (Int32 id) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/InputModules/StandaloneInputModule.cs:447)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.ProcessMouseEvent () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/InputModules/StandaloneInputModule.cs:433)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.Process () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/InputModules/StandaloneInputModule.cs:212)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.Update () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:285)
    Possibly it's added for allowing the ray to pass through several objects, not sure.

Also, I have a question. When I open "MainDemo" scene, it has Missing Prefab on the top. What is that supposed to be?

4. jorisshh

jorisshh

The error doesn't seem to come from quest system pro though; Could you submit the stack trace to Unity? I think it's a bug on their end.

Also, the missing prefab is a demo object that got removed; This will be cleaned up in the next version.

5. jorisshh

jorisshh

Here's the changelog for Quest System Pro V1.0.5

• [FIX] Removed objectUseDistance from Quest settings (fixes #31)
    • [FIX] Fixed AutoFocus fails when using GoToNode (fixes #37)
    • [FIX] Quest SetProgress on inactive task that is in TaskOrder.Single no longer sets progress (fixes #27)
    • [FIX] Click button issue fixed for dialogue editor (fixes #25)
    • [FIX] Updated API calls for Unity 2017_1 and newer
    • [FIX] General code cleanup
    • [FIX] Updated demo script for Unity 2017.1 (NavmeshAgent)
    • [FIX] GettingStartedEditor fix
    • [FIX] Updated inventory pro bridge manager - Now removes the player changed event listener when destroyed
    • [NEW] SetVariable node and IfVariable edge condition added
    • [NEW] Built-in quest system player now uses motion info and audio info per user node
    • [NEW] Added try and catch to dialogue nodes to avoid crashing the editor. Error is displayed in dialogue status & tooltip

hopeful likes this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

I get this error on import of the latest Quest Pro into 2017.1:

Assets/Devdog/QuestSystemPro/Scripts/Dialogue/Editor/CustomDrawers/IfVariableEdgeConditionDrawer.cs(58,42): error CS0122: `Devdog.General.Editors.ReflectionDrawers.ChildrenValueDrawerBase.GetFoldoutName()' is inaccessible due to its protection level

7. jorisshh

jorisshh

Are you also using Inventory Pro or any other Devdog assets?

Make sure you're on the latest version of Devdog.General. You can delete the Assets/Dedvog/Config.xml file and update your general library to force it.

8. hopeful

hopeful

I can definitely trigger the error by importing Quest Pro and then Inventory Pro.

Aside from that, I'm starting a new project, so the Quest Pro and Inventory Pro are the ones currently in the store.

9. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thanks for letting me know; I'll push out a new update for Inventory pro with the latest version of the general library. For now you can download it by deleting the General.xml file in the Devdog/ assets folder.

10. SuneT

SuneT

A bit of news
    We've decided to turn our own forums at forum.devdog.io to "read-only" and instead switch to our own Discord server.

The Discord server will allow for faster support and quicker messaging back and forth! ;)

So if you're experiencing any issues, have feedback, or just want to show-off whatever you've made using any of our tools and hang out with us, come join: https://discord.gg/zjNj5zZ

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. wood333

wood333

I have import errors from Quest System Pro. I am using Unity 5.6. Can you advise me on these?

QSP Errors.JPG

EDIT: Well, strangely enough, after exiting this project, running others, and later returning, now the errors are gone and the scene plays. Strange universe we live in.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  12. JDrem1

JDrem1

Few very quick questions.
    I wonder if anyone can help please.

I sent an email through the devs support, but didn't hear back. So if anyone can reply I appreciate it.

1. Been teaching myself Unity for a few months. However as yet I do not know how to write one line of code / script.
    Will this failing stop me at all from using "Quest System Pro" at all. And implementing, the quests, events, spawns, etc?

2. Do I need any separate plug-ins, playmaker, Vide etc, or is it self contained.

3. I saw quite a few reviews and on other forums saying the tutorials and notes were out dated in comparison to the version of Quest System-pro. And that it needed to be updated. Is this true? or or it still very learn-able from the existing tutorials, and notes?

Again I appreciate any help. Even brief answers per point will do.

Thanks. :)

13. magique

magique

I have this, but haven't dug too deeply into it, but I know that it's primarily a visual tool for creating quests and I don't think you need to write code at all. You can certainly write code if you need to or use Playmaker for that.

No, nothing else is needed, but other things can certainly enhance it.

Not really sure about this. I'm just getting ready to start using this myself so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

jorisshh likes this.
  14. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hey. And thank you so much for the reply, and the help.

Id love to hear how you get on with it when you do start using it.
    Especially how it goes with the instructions and tutorials.

Thank you again. :)

15. magique

magique

I'll let you know.

JDrem1 likes this.
  16. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hey Andy; I did reply, did it end up in spam perhaps? Either way, here's the email:

Quest system pro is built for content designers. As such you won't need any programming knowledge to work with the quest system :). Using the editors you can define quests, using the dialogue editor you can set up your own dialogue trees; Inside dialogue trees you can set quest status (for example, progress the player's quest for talking to some NPC).

Also, you can even set progress on quests using simple "progress setter" scripts. For example, when your player walks to a trigger, set progress for a specific quest (discovery quest perhaps?).

And finally, there's "Status affectors", which do "something" when a quest's status or progress changes. For example, you may want to open a door to the next area of your level once the player completes a quest.

All of this can be accomplished without a single line of code; And of course, playmaker also isn't required for this. If you do decide to start coding you can extend the system by adding even more flexibility, but starting without any code should be more than sufficient to make the majority of quest types.

There's also extra features like object spawners, which can be used to spawn monsters for a quest, or spawn collectable items. This spawner will handle the lifetime of objects and only spawn whenever you player gets in range to avoid allocating every object for every possible quest the user could take.

And finally (really this time), there's a waypoint system that can be used by, for example, NPC's to walk around and perform tasks at each waypoint.

That's about it :) - Overall, Quest System Pro is very flexible and designed with content creators in mind, so it's pretty easy to pick up.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

magique likes this.
  17. magique

magique

I tried to run MainDemo, but the LanguageDatabase is missing from the _Managers component. When I click on the provided LanguageDatabase asset, it shows "The associated script can not be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script." But there aren't any compile errors. Also, the scene has Missing Prefab at top of hierarchy.

upload_2017-10-31_11-36-46.png

[EDIT]
    I see that the script in questions has #if INVENTORY_PRO around it. So apparently, the MainDemo requires Inventory Pro? I thought only the Inventory Pro demo would require that. Strange.

[EDIT 2]
    So, the provided LanguageDatabase uses script requiring InventoryPro. So, I just re-generated and linked new databases to get one that worked. But this is very concerning. I always seem to have these sorts of demo scene issues with IP and QP. Can you test your packages with users before releasing?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  18. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hello Joris.

I am really so sorry I didn't see your reply.
    You were totally right, I just looked it was in the spam folder.

This was very unusual for my email, as I dont get much spam at all.
    I can see its been siting there since Saturday.
    Sorry about that Joris. :(

Thank you so much for the excellent reply, I cant believe how much it does. It looks amazing. :)

I really appreciate the help, and the information.

Best Regards.

Andy.

jorisshh likes this.
  19. GregMeach

GregMeach

I too am struggling with the correct (if there is any) install order since I have both IP and QP and cannot get a demo scene error free so it makes testing/learning it quite frustrating.

PS I too had that language db error and tried the regenerate and fubar’d it up good. Fortunately it’s a test project so I can simply delete the folder and try, try again

20. gferrari

gferrari

How you do it! I can't to get work the keypress in Quest System Pro :(

21. jorisshh

jorisshh

We don't support beta builds, as the last few builds have been a bit unstable and often break backwards compatability.
    What file are you referring to when you said it had an INVENTORY_PRO define symbol in it?

22. jorisshh

jorisshh

Key press on what exactly? Windows? Triggers?

23. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ho ho ho

Tis the season of Christmas surprises, and we have an awesome one for you!

Sponsored by all your favorite Unity Asset Store developers, Nordic Game Jam, Pocket Gamer Connects, and co-hosted by Game Analytics, we (Joris and I – Devdog) are launching the second edition of our yearly Christmas Giveaway Calendar for all Unity game developers!

You can already now sign up right here.

So what’s this all about?
    For the past weeks, we’ve been collecting sponsored gifts related to Unity (asset vouchers, product keys, conference tickets etc.), and throughout each day of December leading up to Christmas Day on the 25th, we will be sending out these sponsored gifts as early gamedev Christmas presents via e-mail to hundreds of lucky winners.

The total prize pool is at $35,000, with over 1200 presents donated by the awesome sponsors!

Merry Christmas from Devdog, and every single one of the sponsors.