Search Unity

Quest It?! - Quest/Dialog/Inventory Editor - Released!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by CaptainKiyaku, Aug 5, 2010.

1. huxley

huxley

Hi Sven,

That was exactly the issue. I had mistyped the QuestIt directory with a capital "I". Working perfectly now. Thx!

-Neal

2. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Glad it helped Neal!

BTW the new update should come soon, i am just a bit busy with some jobs right now.

Greetings,
    Sven

3. Gamerdad81

Gamerdad81

Great! cant wait for the next update, also do you plan on adding on to the inventory system you have in place? maybe adding a character sheet so you can equip items and such?

4. Argien

Argien

I second that : a character sheet would be great :)

Another suggestion (though it might not be easy ?):
    Item categories would be nice (things like weapons, armor etc.) It would be useful to have some classification for the items database.
    Also for the dialogs maybe ? (by npc, by area, etc. ?)

5. dizzog

dizzog

has anyone actually gotten this to work with mysql? and if so how? it just locks up and i can't figure it out. i get this error

FormatException: Input string was not in the correct format
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000]
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000]
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
    UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate ()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000]
    questItEditor.Update () (at Assets\Editor\questItEditor.cs:1359)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000]

6. alzan12

alzan12

cool but cost a lot

7. huxley

huxley

Hi Sven,

I'm trying to modify the spawnItem script so that OnTriggerEnter will result in the item being picked up. This will be functionality added to the existing mouse click option.

I see that when the spawnItem script runs a Coroutine

Code (csharp):
    1. IM.Ins.CreateItemByName(itemName, amount, transform.position)
    but I'm having some trouble finding the code that creates the clickable properties of the cloned items, which is what I would like to change to allow for the player to pickup with OnTriggerEnter.

8. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

It's located in the GM.cs and called "scanForItems()".

The best would probably be to add a trigger collider to the item prefab and change the item.cs and add the OnTriggerEnter function, and call:

if (IM.Ins.addItemToInventory(itemPtr))

(And add an "Destroy(gameObject)" afterwards)

Let me know if that helped :)

9. huxley

huxley

Yes, that was it. I put the extra code you suggested in item.cs and now OnTriggerEnter pickups work like a charm! Thanks again.

10. RoyS

RoyS

I'm having the same problem as gamerdad in that I can mouseover and the item turns green, but it won't pickup. I tried the suggestions given to him, but I must be doing something different than what he did.

Here's a screenshot of what I have so maybe you can see where I'm going wrong.

Attached Files:

11. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Hi,
    i see you have the "ScrapMetal" Prefab dragged into the scene.

You need to spawn items using the itemSpawner or via script so it can get registered by the item manager.

I might change that behaviour in future updates.

Let me know if that helps :)

12. RoyS

RoyS

I looked through the manual and didn't see any reference to an "itemSpawner" so that must be what I'm missing.

I'm just doing a quick demo to be sure I understand how everything works. I also sent you a pm for some custom work if you are available for work.

Here are the manual steps...
    To create a new item, drop the itemSpawner into the scene drop your item model into the scene and attach following components:
    - collider: to be able to click on the item to pick it up
    - item script: It's locatedin "QuestIt/Scripts/Inventory/item.cs"
    - rigidbody: gets added by default

So where does the itemSpawner come in? Do you put in an itemSpawner for every new prefab? So I don't put the model into the scene then?

Also curious about "Stack". In your demo, you have all the swords showing up multiple times. They don't pile over each other and a number changing each time a new sword of the same modelname is added? Or does that "Stack" mean something different.

13. Gamerdad81

Gamerdad81

Add an empty to your scene, attach the itemSpawner script to it, and in the name field type the name of the item that you want spawned. the name being whatever you named it in the item creator. as far as stacking goes, you just change the number to how many you are able to stack of that item from the inspector.

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

Wrong thread sorry.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Very nice Sven! This might be worth the money.

And is Sven a reference to Sven Yorgen, an Alliance questgiver in Duskwood? [/isawowhead]

16. shotgunk1w1

shotgunk1w1

We recently purchased QuestIt! - and I keep having it crash the Unity Editor- If I de-focus the quest-it window (ie- open another window, internet browser or such) then when I click back inside the quest-it editor i get the following errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    questItEditor.DisplayItemEditor () (at Assets\Editor\questItEditor.cs:497)
    questItEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets\Editor\questItEditor.cs:1267)

(Filename: Assets/Editor/questItEditor.cs Line: 497)

IsD3D9DeviceLost() || g_D3DInsideScene

(Filename: ..\..\Runtime\GfxDevice\d3d\D3D9Context.cpp Line: 696)

Then if I press a button in the Editor - unity crashes.

This is just opening up the demo scene.

Im running dual screen Win7 64bit.

17. shotgunk1w1

shotgunk1w1

So the crash is something to do with the onGUI failing. Have you encountered this before?

18. shotgunk1w1

shotgunk1w1

Ok I fixed it - simple fix. Seems when you defocus from unity and come back to QuestIT it looses a variable reference somewhere.

Anywho - comment out these lines (they appear 3x) to resolve issue:

// GUI.skin = questItSkin;
    //GUI.Label(new Rect(30, focusedWindow.position.height - 150, 128, 138), "");

Its the redrawing of the questit logo that causes the crash ^_^

19. smiljan66

smiljan66

Can you give new discount code i will buy it right away .

And if you can make a character creation script will eb amazing i mena lik emakin teh character more muscle , tall hthi jaw big ears and stuff ... i will definitely buy that for shure for a decent price as well
    cheers!

20. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

I don't know why but somehow i don't get notifications about PMs and new posts on threads anymore, so i just saw the latest posts now.

No it's actually my name lol. And btw, for the horde! :p

@shotgunk1w1,
    sorry i didn't see your problem earlier but glad to hear you solved it! I've never had that problem but i will check it out to prevent it from crashing for other people as well. Thanks for sharing!

@smiljan66,
    unfortunately the discount is not available anymore.
    Right now i don't have any plans for a character creator but it would be cool to have one :) Unity actually offers some kind of character creator in their tutorial or projects section, take a look!

21. Kona

Kona

Hi! I purchased QuestIt yesterday and first of all, thanks for making it, it's really user friendly and good (and saved my lazy arse from alot of coding xD sch.)

Anyways, I'm trying to change the scale of the inventory window as well as adding a new box above the "stack-item" box where I later want to add some functions to equip items to my player character. I'm not too familiar to working with GUI things and changing the sizes and what not in the GUISkins/InventarItem properties doesn't seem to work I wonder if the size and layout information is inside one of the scripts?

Or are you planning on adding these function I'm currently working on to an update that'll be released within a near future so I'm wasting my time?

And again thanks for a great extension. :)

22. smiljan66

smiljan66

Kiyaku im interested if you can make the character generation script for me please send me an email to smiljan66@yahoo.es and say hwo much it will cost me if you can do that lets talk i need that and i think you are the perfect perosn to do it for a decent price count on me.

23. smiljan66

smiljan66

My toher question is i ca n change th eui _ for displaying quest i want to make the excat thing as age of conan quest you click on the guy and it opnes the quets displayed with a black background and the quest in white letters and it give you three posibilities ot choose and the ohte rpart fo screen shows the player that are saying th e quest is that possible with your script?

24. Samsson

Samsson

Is quest it functional with V.3 of Unity or we have to make scripts modifications ourselves ?

25. MrRudak

MrRudak

Hey men if you wanna work in a sci-fi game
    contact me at rudasvicen8@hotmail.com
    it wont be paid at the moment but you
    will get money of the earnings
    what do yo say? wanna team up?

26. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

QuestIt?! v1.2 released!

Changelog:
    - Added iPhone support
    - Save Quest Progress
    - Items can now be placed directly in the editor
    - Inventory gets stored online when selecting MySQL
    - Fixed NPC name bug
    - Fixed absolute paths bug
    - Fixed bug with selection ring when selecting the same NPC again
    - Fixed bug when switching to another NPC while reading a quest text

Everyone who already purchased QuestIt should receive an update email soon.

27. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Yes it is fully functional with Unity 3.

@Everyone who asked for GUI changes, i will work on a more technical documentation soon so you can easily change parts of the code. Just be patient!

28. RoyS

RoyS

Was this ever revised? I never was able to get it to work.

I don't know if you have completed the update (it's 5 days since your last post), but I haven't received my update email.

29. Hans

Hans

getting the below error

Assets/QuestIt/Scripts/GM.cs(154,72): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `enemyControl' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Fresh project, terrain in scene and that is all, U3 pro version

30. mandril

mandril

Hello Kiyaku

Quest it support android?

31. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

I still don't receive emails even when im subscribed, i don't get it...

Did you still not get any update email? Please let me know what your email is and i will check this out asap.
    And yes in the last update you can actually place objects into the scene without the itemSpawner.

Hm it sounds like i've forgot to include the script to the latest build, i will check this out!

To fix it fast, create a new enemyControl.cs and copy paste this code into it:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class enemyControl : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public int questID;
    7.     public Projector shadow;
    9.     void Update ()
    10.     {
    11.         if (QM.Ins.HasQuest(questID))
    12.         {
    13.             renderer.enabled = true;
    14.             shadow.enabled = true;
    15.         }
    16.         else
    17.         {
    18.             renderer.enabled = false;
    19.             shadow.enabled = false;
    20.         }
    21.     }
    24.     public void Die()
    25.     {
    26.         if (renderer.enabled)
    27.         {
    28.             QM.Ins.OnDeath(transform);
    30.             Destroy(gameObject);
    31.         }
    32.     }
    33. }

Not sure, i don't have an android and no android license so i can't try it out. If i ever get one, i will make sure that it's going to run on the android as well!

32. mandril

mandril

Kiyaku thanks for your answer

33. RoyS

RoyS

I sent you a pm, Kiyaku.

34. 3Duaun

3Duaun

it appears Quest It is written in C#, @Kiyaku, would mind confirming that?

Also, do you have a twitter account?

35. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Yes it is written in C#.

My twitter account is https://twitter.com/Captain_Kiyaku.

36. Hans

Hans

Hello Kiyaku

have you updated the package ? so i can red/l it from the link?

thanks

Hans

37. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Hi,

you actually should receive an email when a new update is available with a new download link, not sure if the old one works as well.

I actually updated the current version so it includes the enemyControl again, but that's it.
    And i realized it doesn't work with 2.6 correctly right now, so i am creating a second .unitypackage in the same download file for users who want to use 2.6. Should be up in a few hours.

Greetings,
    Sven

38. DevionGames

DevionGames

I have the same Error, I do not found a solution on this thread! Can somebody help me please?

39. orphea

orphea

Hi,

I bought Quest-it some weeks ago. Again, thank you Sven for your great work.

I wonder if someone in the community can help me.
    I would like to make a cutscene using camera switch after a quest is done. I am new to javascript and C#.

I am using the following javascript in my game to do it using collisions:

function OnTriggerEnter(other : Collider) {

if (other.tag == "Player") {
    cam_to_use.active=true;
    }

}

How can I do the same with questit after a quest is done. I imagine I need to refer to the quest database using quests ID and the done variable. But since I don't understand c# syntax yet, it is quite difficult to do and to know where to plug it into the Game Manager.
    Can you please help me?

Thank you

Marie-Pier Auger

I would also do the same after all my quests are done.

40. mellow991

mellow991

Your webpage is not working for me... the buy now link sends me too svenparoth.com and the webbroswer freezes once it gets there also, if i try to type svenparoth.com into the webbrowser it freezes up as well

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  41. mellow991

mellow991

I want to buy this sooooo bad... Hoping it's working soon

42. SirKline

SirKline

43. mellow991

mellow991

Yes the demos, and manual are working but the buy now link sends me to svenparoth.com which then freezes up my web browser also if i just type svenparoth.com or blog.windmillgames.com into the web browser it freezes up as well

44. psyclone

psyclone

I have considered buying this as well, however for me as well the purchasing side is unavailable due to a constant looping back to the svenparth.com site

45. SirKline

SirKline

I think the site is in revision right now. It worked fine a few days ago and probably will be up soon. Btw. my problem with the quests not working in the deployed version is gone.
    BUT, is there any way to reset the quests on startup of the game?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  46. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Sorry guys, the server moved but the site is up again!

Thanks for your interest in it :)

47. Demonith

Demonith

$49,99 usd ! Wtf !

48. mellow991

mellow991

Hey i am loving this, definitley worth the fifty! one problem though, the quest chains are not appearing in the dialog when i talk to the npc but the rest of the dialogue as well as quests that aren't chains (no @ + number) do. I am constantly getting an error that i think is related to the fact that the quests aren't appearing:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    questItEditor.DisplayDialogEditor () (at Assets/Questit stuff/Editor/questItEditor.cs:1130)
    questItEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/Questit stuff/Editor/questItEditor.cs:1277)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  49. SirKline

SirKline

According from the line the error is occuring i'd assume that your questname is too long.

50. mellow991

mellow991

No that can't be it