Search Unity

Quest build & run USB 2.0

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Tombom92, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Tombom92

Tombom92

Hi,

I'm having problems to run anything on the quest, I don't want to use Quest Link, I just want to build & run an APK. Do I need an USB 3.0 cable for that or can it be done with USB 2.0?

2. axeldaguerre

axeldaguerre

I am almost certain you need a 3.0 usb, it is what i am using, i will try with a 2.0 soon and get back to you
    Edit: As someone said, i was wrong, it works fine without USB 3.0

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  3. Tombom92

Tombom92

Hi, I also tried an USB 3.0 cable in the meantime, I still get 51 errors, but it's building and I can test it on the quest.

4. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

There is no need for a USB3 cable unless you're trying to use Link (Oculus's special magical tech that uses your PC's GPU to power the Quest). It's just USB, everything is completely standard: you are installing a file to an Android device (probably USB1 would work fine too, although it's been a loooong time since I've even had a machine with a USB1 port on it :)).

However .. many people have broken USB cables (bent too many times, internal connections come loose, etc) or cheap clone cables that are missing some of the internal wires (!), so ... if it doesn't work, make sure you plug in an ordinary Android handset with USB-C connector to same cable, and see if you can build to that. If you can't: the cable is broken.

5. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

6. Tombom92

Tombom92

I used the Quest with a USB 2.0 cable which I also use to build & run on an Android smartphone, the 2.0 cable is perfectly fine. It wasn't working with that cable. But it works with a no name USB 3.0 cable.

I wouldn't ask if I wouldn't be sure the cable is fine...

7. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Sorry! I was sure it worked fine for me on plain USB cables - but I wanted Link so bought a cheap ($10 / 4m) USB3 cable anyway. I'll try some next time I do an APK - would be good to know if it literally can't do data without a 3.